US citizenship applicants...please help! when to leave sponsoring employer.

Nov06

Registered Users (C)
I have a question, recently I have received my green card EB2,I am planning to leave the sponsoring employer to whom I worked 7 months post 485 application and 1 Months post approval.

For those who are 5 years ahead of me, In the process of citizenship application was leaving the sponsoring employer too early an Issue or not?

Can you post the number of months /years you worked to your sponsoring employer. please

This issue has so many different opinions I consulted 3 lawyers everyboday gave a different answer. I decided to approach the problem differently, with your practical experience, One can formulate an opinion.

Thanks alot in advance

I do not think it matters how long you work with sponsoring employer. I worked for 2 yrs with sponsoring employer. I would say 1 yr is a safety period more from a moral perspective than a legal situation. If the employer was very unfriendly to you that is a different case.

Thank you

Actually I was planning to leave earlier I had the new contract, I was ready to invoke AC21 and move on. then the GC was approved. So I placed everything on hold.

Thank you for your reply.

Come on guys,please we need more replies to establish a trend.

What is the shortest period of time one has worked for his GC sponsoring employer and got away with it?

Do you search on AC21 and you will find lot of information related to your job change situation. If your job description and job title are same as your labor petition you case is even better. I have personally tracked several approvals on this Board where people changed job few months after the GC approval (similar to your plan) and they did not have any issue during the N-400 approval. Can you wait for two more months?

I'd be hard pressed to say there is any trend - its really all down to personal circumstances and the economic climate at the time. All I can say in the general sense is that "longer is better" from a USCIS perspective, although there are no hard and fast rules or criteria.

I think it has been the experience of this forum that USCIS has been very generous in applying AC21. I think some people have naturalized with little or no work after obtaining GC. As koolvik has suggested I would do a search for AC21. Word to the wise, USCIS might decide to change 5 years down the road how they treat AC21. One way or another I think you're pretty safe to change jobs if you want, specially if the new job is similar to the one you have now (i.e. whatever the AC21 requirement is for similar job/category). In the past, people recommended to stay at least 6 months with employer after obtaining GC. I believe AC21 changed this, and most likely the old advice doesn't apply now.

More posts please

Thank you all, you have been helpful

More posts please we want to draw a curve :)

The thing is, as I understand it, is that the AC21 rules aren't much older than about 5 years. The first wave of AC21 eligible folks are just passing through the system.

This forum has a very good search feature, and "AC21" is a nice distinct search term. It shouldn't be hard to draw your own curve.

Thank you Flydog

Thank you Flydog for taking the time to help, my question is about changing jobs AFTER GC not AC21 cases.....I wanted actual cases that changed employment soon after Green card and is now applying for citizenship,
Do you know any?

Quite a few people have posted their experiences here - all positive outcome from what I can recall. There is however a very close connection between AC21 cases and changing jobs immediately after getting your GC, providing of course that you are moving to a roughly equivalent role with the new company.

If you are moving into a different field entirely, I would recommend 3-6 months minimum time with the sponsoring employer. A good lawyer might successfully argue that intent cannot be established beyond 90 days based upon the precedent of the "30-60-90" rule. (Yes, I know that talks about something else entirely, but the principle of "intent" is the same.)

For what it's worth, let me tell you my story... Back in 2002, I adjusted my status using consular processing. I was employed as a management consultant and had worked there for a total of about 5 years. In mid 2003, during the depths of a recession, business was not that good for my employer and there were simply too many of us at the "Manager" level. In order to prune the ranks, they were very tough on us during mid-year 2003reviews and I received a poor review, despite always having received good reviews previously. This was their way of signalling to me that it was time to go. (The unwritten rule in the Mgt Consulting industry is "up or out", and since the former path was blocked I opted for the latter). I ended up leaving my employer 10 months after I received my GC, and there were certainly no hard feelings - they released me from reimbusring them the cost of the GC and in many ways I was doing them a favor by self-selecting out.

Before I left, I came on this board to ask advice of other members. Many of the responses that I received quoted me the "6 month rule", the general length of time beyond which it was generally deemed safe to switch employers. However, members did caution that each case is different and that it depends on one's individul circumstances for leaving. In my case, even JoeF, a former member of this board and a veritable encyclopedia of US immigration law, seemed to think that 10 months with the sponsoring employer was good enough. Not being satisfied even with that, I contacted a good immigration attorney at a firm that had helped my wife and I previously. Without really explaining the entire situation to him, I just indicated that I wanted to switch employers after 10 months. His response was, "you're fine". I took him at face value and resigned the next day.

Back at that time, the "6 month rule" was often quoted in these forums - that was the general rule of thumb for leaving one's employer following receipt of a GC. I subsequently came to learn about the 30-60-90 day rule which deals with what your "intent" was at the time you got your GC. If I understand this precedent correctly, most job changes following 90 days of employment with the sponsoring employer are deemed acceptable (i.e. no intent to defraud the government) by the USCIS, meaning that they would not come after you for changing jobs in that period. I realize that AC21 may have subsequently changed the rules a little bit for everyone but if you want to take a conservative approach, then consider waiting 3-6 months before changing employers. While this may cause you some hardship now, it may save you some hardship / stress later on.

I am about to file my N-400 in just a few weeks, so I have no idea how all this will ultimately play out with the USCIS. All I can offer is what opinions I received at the time I received them. If this becomes an issue for me, I plan to explain the reason for the job switch, show them the performance review and remind them of the economic climate at the time.

Whatever choice you make, do your best to gather as much documentation as you can to support any statements or claims you may wish to make in the future. Best of luck to you in whatever you decide.

Thank you

Thank you boatbod and yummyk, wish you all the best in your coming step.

For all the coming replies, if you know a case that is similar" someone who left the employer immediately after GC approval please post it.

I tried to go to AC21 threads,old cases in 2002 some of the cases are similar to mine and tried to send them messages, most of them fell off the face of the earth after GC approval, scarry......lol

It seems I will keep encouraging people to reply, till I am ready to file N-400 and I have not changed the employer.. :)

More replies are sought

I have forgotten the rules since it has been a while. But the earlier reasoning was that working even 1 day after GC approval makes one compliant with the law. If you find a better opportunity just go.

The thread is dying,you do not have to elaborate, just give us a number..e.g I left my employer in 6 months and my interview went fine...simple line.....this sounds redundant on my behalf but trying to resuscitate the thread.

I am keen to know the answers on this issue. I am going to ping some of my friends who have recently got the citizenship and see when they left the sponsoring organization

In general, most people, once they get their natz cert, look at this forum once or twice more, and then go on with their life. You are asking a very specific question that only a few people may be able to answer (from experience, rather than from general knowledge - the kind of answers you've been getting).

How may GC applicant are being enslaved by their GC sponsor?

Thank you dcmetro, and flydog.
My Lawyer sent me a brochure today,typed in her office with no references in which it was mentioned, if your green card was based on employment; failure to enter this employment may have irreversible consequences on your naturalization process"
also communicated with a friend whose lawyer states "you can leave as soon as you want"

I have been in my company for over 6 years now. Just got approved for my GC. I guess I have served them a lot! I am working on my resume right now...might leave soon. 6 years is like a lifetime for a technology employee :)