US Citizenship and Social Security Administration

Sashko

Registered Users (C)
Hello All,

When you get the Natutalization Certificate do you have to go to the SSA to update the files or they are updated automatically ?

Thanks to all

yes i was told you have to go to SSN and update your info

Its pretty painless... just go in (hopefully when its not busy) show your natz cert, and they do all the work.

If you didn't update your social security card when you became a LPR, they will also mail you a new card with the "INS" work restriction removed from it.

Apart from SSA .... who else needs to know the new status?

Should the following be informed too?

Employer
Bank
Mortgage Company
DMV - Any Driver license updates?
Insurance companies

I heard the drivers lisence too and insurance I am not sure. I know mine never ask me for my nationality in the first place ...

But yea I am curious too whatelse has to be done. I know my Husband has to change my status with the Army (something called ERB) whatever that stands for, lol

I went to the SSA office with my naturalization certificate and US passport. He entered my naturalization certificate number and also the US passport number.

Hello All,

When you get the Natutalization Certificate do you have to go to the SSA to update the files or they are updated automatically ?

Thanks to all

i have been postponing this trip. have to do soon. My ssa name also seems slightly having a problem. my card and us citizenship cert name etc are exactly same.

the yearly statement i receive has no space between my first and middle name. I am not sure why it happens so, but i plan to talk to them and figure out too

Should the following be informed too?

Employer
Bank
Mortgage Company
DMV - Any Driver license updates?
Insurance companies

Good question!! Employer (because you would have filled an I9 earlier with different status) and DMV (at the time of next renewal) should be informed. I don't think bank, mortgage and insurance would be interested.

Maryland MVA (DMV) told me they weren't interested. Maybe different rules in each State.

Employer I-9 can be updated whenever (if) they get around to asking for it.

I would say the same is true for CA DMV as I can renew my license via the internet. I sort of remember that only for the first (2?) they wanted to see my visa, never even updated them once I had my GC.

In Georgia, if you are a citizen, you can renew your driver's license over the internet. Non-citizens have to go the old way - of a personal visit, eye test, etc. - to renew it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is a Naturalized Citizenship as good as a Birth Citizenship? (except for running for President). How is the Security Clearance process(to apply for certain govt jobs) compared between the two types? Anyone applying for the clearance?

Also, do you need to carry a copy of Naturalization certificate and provide it when asked to prove the status at a routine traffic stop?

You do not need to, and should not, carry Your Naturalization Certificate with you. Your Naturalization Certificate should be treated as an irreplaceable document with the original stored securely in a fire proof location. Ideally this would be a bank safe deposit box, or at least in a fire proof document safe in your house. You could take a black and white copy and carry that, but the copy has no legal standing.

If you are concerned about being stopped and proving citizenship you could carry a passport or even better the new passport card, as these also prove citizenship.

Is a Naturalized Citizenship as good as a Birth Citizenship? (except for running for President).
No it isn't. If at any time they determine that you lied on your green card or citizenship application, or committed a deportable offense (even if convicted after naturalization) before becoming a citizen, they can revoke your citizenship and deport you. So as a naturalized citizen your citizenship is never safe ... you can get convicted of a crime you didn't commit, which could cause you to lose your citizenship if the alleged date of the crime (not the date of conviction) is before you naturalized.

Last edited by a moderator:
At the ceremony

Hello All,

Thanks to all

Shasko: I believe you are in Indianapolis. If so, you will have the opportunity to update the SSN records right there at the court house. I did so and they sent me a new SSN card in the mail a week later.

No it isn't. If at any time they determine that you lied on your green card or citizenship application, or committed a deportable offense (even if convicted after naturalization) before becoming a citizen, they can revoke your citizenship and deport you. So as a naturalized citizen your citizenship is never safe ... you can get convicted of a crime you didn't commit, which could cause you to lose your citizenship if the alleged date of the crime (not the date of conviction) is before you naturalized.

I'm not sure that you can be denaturalized if you commit an offense after taking the oath. As far as I recall, current law basically requires USCIS to prove that you were in some way ineligible for naturalization before they can strip your citizenship.

I'm not sure that you can be denaturalized if you commit an offense after taking the oath. As far as I recall, current law basically requires USCIS to prove that you were in some way ineligible for naturalization before they can strip your citizenship.
Please reread my post carefully... I was referring to a situation where the conviction was after naturalization, but the crime was (allegedly) committed before. It's one reason for having the "have you ever ... for which you were not arrested" question on the N-400 ... a back-door way to denaturalize you.

Please reread my post carefully... I was referring to a situation where the conviction was after naturalization, but the crime was (allegedly) committed before. It's one reason for having the "have you ever ... for which you were not arrested" question on the N-400 ... a back-door way to denaturalize you.

Yes, under those circumstances your citizenship would definitely be at risk.