US Citizenship and seperation

sonyong

I have a question regarding Citizenship and was wondering if you help me.

I got married to my husband (he is born-American) on May 1996 and moved to
US and received temporary green card (permanent card) on Jun 04 1996.
On January 3 2000, I applied for US Citizenship based on my marriage
(3-5years).

At the time of filing, I have been married to him for 4 and half years and
been living together since.
The other day, I received finger print appointment notice from INS and I
finished finger print process.

Now, I and my husband wants to get a separation but we do want to get my
citizenship if we can.
I was wondering if I get a legal separation right now, would this affect my
application for US Citizenship?

If so, do you recommend me to stay with him till I get to get US
Citizenship?

Or is there any way that I can withdraw my application and reapply again
based on 5 years of permanent residence condition?

Please advise
Thanks in advance.

Seperation

The best, less confusing, and most importantly, fastest way is to wait. Looks like you are only waiting on the interview. I would wait if I were you. They will ask you for the marrage certificate when you go to the interview to verify that you are still legally married and probably living together.

You can legally wait and re-apply after 5 years if you\'d rather not wait. What state are you in?

Seperation

Thanks for replying.

I am in North Carolina.
As of right now, I have been permanet resident for over 5 years.
But when I filed the application, I have been permanemnt resident for only 4 and half years.
That is why I applied based on my marriage to my husband.

How long would it take to get an interview. I just sent my finger print three days ago.

Thanks a lot.

Length

I live in Michigan. I applied based on marriage to (permanent resident for 3 years). I got the letter for the interview two months after doing the FP and it was scheduled for two months from getting it. So you probably looking at a period from 2 to 5 or 6 months. I know that might sound to long, but it could pass by quickly.

Good luck.

No Title

Detroit, MI INS is pushing for naturalization right now. INS is not even doing any interviews for AOS until June 2002.
Please do not apply one state time line to another state. Every INS office has different times and priorities at any given time.

To Anna

Pushing for Naturalization? That\'s new information to me! Who told you that? Is there any particular reason? LOL

Anyways, you can never be certain about anything with the INS, so don\'t make any assumptions yourself either. As far as I\'m concerned, if you fill out your application correctly and have a good background record then you should have no problems. Except of course waiting and if the INS for some unknown reason looses your file (happened several time in NY).

More quetions for Citizenship in Texas center

Which center did you get your interview from?
Since I am in NC, my application will be processed in Texas Center.
Do you know how I can find out their time line for US citizenship interivew?

If it will only take 2-3 months, I will be so happy.
Let me know where or how I can find out the interview timeline for texas center.

By the way, when you go in for interview, do you need to bring your husband?
also how do they want me to approve that I still am married and live with my husband?
What kind of questions do they ask as far as marriage?
What kind of paper do I have to prepare?

Would they ever come to investigate if we still live together?
If I decide to just move out (not getting any legal seperation) before interiview, what would happen?

I really appreciate your answer.
Thanks.