US citizen to get Married in India

cthomas

Registered Users (C)
I am a US citizen planning to go to India and get married to an Indian Citizen/resident. I would like to obtain information on bringing the spouse as soon as possible and the process that is to be completed in India (Registering, etc) and at the US consulate. I heard about a 21 day rule and doesn't know what it is. Please also include the issues and process of fiancee visa if you have reliable information. Thanks in advance.

Cybil

As far as I know the best thing is try to have your spouse come on visitors visa.....come to the US and then register your marriage and start the INS paperwork ! Then she/he will change from visitor visa to adjustment status!!

Do NOT do that!! thats the most dangerous thing to do.

entering on a visitors visa with an intent to permanently reside in the USA is considered VISA fraud and you can get banned for life.

You can file a K-1 (fiance visa) peitition or an K-3 spouse visa or even the I-130 followed by the counselar processing is the right and correct way to proceed in this case.

you can visit http://www.immigration.gov/graphics/howdoi/spouselive.htm

for more details.

HTH

Originally posted by samira_jung
As far as I know the best thing is try to have your spouse come on visitors visa.....come to the US and then register your marriage and start the INS paperwork ! Then she/he will change from visitor visa to adjustment status!!