US citizen son - extended stay in India..Help

wiscguy

Hello all,

Please help me out with this situation. My wife (H-4) and my 3 year old son (U.S. Born Citizen) had to stay in India for extended time about 8 months due to family emergency. They are coming back now in a week.
My son had Indian tourist visa of 5 yrs validity, but I just found out that it was valid for 6 months in one trip.

What should we do now? Does he has to go to U.S. Consulate or somewhere to get some sort of Exit permission. Or does he not need to get any permission as he is 3 years old.

Would there be issues that he may not get back here from India? I looked at the Indian Cosulates website under visa section, nothing is clear.

Please assist ASAP. They are expecting to come back next week..

Thanks,
Wiscguy

hi

your son is a us citizen.. take him to the closest embassy and renew the visa. since he is a citizen he shouldnt have any problems with reissuance.

Re: hi

Originally posted by JulieKumar
your son is a us citizen.. take him to the closest embassy and renew the visa. since he is a citizen he shouldnt have any problems with reissuance.
His son is in India. Which country's embassy do you think he should go to?

india is set up so that...

of the 4 embassies (delhi, chennai, calcutta, mumbai) each one handles certain states. you can find out which embassy handles which states here >> www.travel.state.gov ... call them first to inquire prior to traveling there, and let them know you are calling on behalf of a us citizen, which there are supposed to be more receptive to us citizens (sorry 2 say). but perhaps this will get you on the right track ..

Re: india is set up so that...

Originally posted by JulieKumar
of the 4 embassies (delhi, chennai, calcutta, mumbai) each one handles certain states. you can find out which embassy handles which states here >> www.travel.state.gov ... call them first to inquire prior to traveling there, and let them know you are calling on behalf of a us citizen, which there are supposed to be more receptive to us citizens (sorry 2 say). but perhaps this will get you on the right track .. [/i]

Juliekumar,

You are missing the point completely. His son is a US citizen and has a US passport. (he has a 5 year Indian tourist visa) HE DOES NOT NEED A VISA FROM UNITED STATES!

The problem they are facing is that they exceeded the 6 months stay that India allows for foreign citizens. After 6 months foreign citizens have to register with the foreigner's registration office in india. Apparently they failed to do so. They should contact the nearest foreign registration office and find out what to do.