US Citizen residing in India since 1985.. MS queries..

pareshshenoy

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,

I am a US citizen( DoB : '1982). I was born in New York City, and I hold a valid and legal US passport. Both my parents are Indian. We moved back to India in July 1985, and have been residing here ever since. We are currently staying in Bangalore, India. I have done all my schooling and education in India itself.

I have decided to pursue my higher education ( MS , Computer Science Engineering ) in the US. I have got an admit from University of Illinois, Chicago.

I have a few questions:

1. Will I have any advantage over other international applicants / students w.r.t financial aid in my university ? I will not be on a visa of any kind when I am studying , so will this make me eligible for off-campus job/internship oppurtunities immediately (i.e, in the first term itself)?

2.Will I be eligible for any additional kind of aid / grants?

2. Also, I have heard from people that it is much easier for a US citizen to land a job than an international applicant. Is this just a notion, or do companies pick people based on their strenghts/merits? Because doing an MS involves a lot of investment, and it would make sense for me to do so only if I am able to leverage the US citizenship to some extent... else I would be content with a job in India itself.

Awaiting replies at the earliest.

Regards,
Paresh.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Paresh shenoy,

We need some advise from people like you who have already R2I. And, the advise is regarding education cost for kids.We are here in the US for past 3 years and plan to move back to India permanently by end of this year (2007). We both have Indian Citizenship.

Some of our questions are:
1) Is there a big difference in fees for elementary schools in Bangalore (difference between US citizen kids and Indian citizen kids)? Obviously, there will be some difference.
2) What is the option for higher education (i.e., undergrad education) as the fees will be higher...to my understanding 3 to 4 times higher than the Indian citizen kids? This kind of fees will not be affordable for people like us who stayed here only for a couple of years and did not really save much in dollars. So, what is the option? Please suggest. I want to know from your experience.
3) I heard that we can get Indian passport in the US for the kid even though the kid is born in the US. (Assuming that we are ready to forgo the US passport and the US citizenship). We have not applied for US passport yet and hence the Indian consulate does not have any objection for this. [In fact, earlier when there was no rule for getting passport for the kids, lot of people used to travel with the kid's name in mother's passport]

Is this a safe option (assuming, we are not worried about US passport)? Are there any issues with this when going out or entering US again (later, may be 10-15 years later...again, applying for US visa on Indian passport).

Please Advise...It will be really great to hear from you.

I will be awaiting for your reply.

Thanks in Advance.

pareshshenoy said:
Hi all,

I am a US citizen( DoB : nov. 5, 1982). I was born in New York City, and I hold a valid and legal US passport. Both my parents are Indian. We moved back to India in July 1985, and have been residing here ever since. We are currently staying in Bangalore, India. I have done all my schooling and education in India itself.

I have decided to pursue my higher education ( MS , Computer Science Engineering ) in the US. I have got an admit from University of Illinois, Chicago.

I have a few questions:

1. Will I have any advantage over other international applicants / students w.r.t financial aid in my university ? I will not be on a visa of any kind when I am studying , so will this make me eligible for off-campus job/internship oppurtunities immediately (i.e, in the first term itself)?
Since you are an US Citizen you are eligible for Federal Subsidized aids, make your life very easy here. You are eligible to work even without going to school with your Indian degree and can do parttime MS.

2.Will I be eligible for any additional kind of aid / grants? Aid/grants are loans, if you are meritorious you may get Scholar ship irrespective of your status.
2. Also, I have heard from people that it is much easier for a US citizen to land a job than an international applicant. Is this just a notion, or do companies pick people based on their strenghts/merits?
Lot of US citizens are not landing up in good job but international student end up with best job based on their merits nothing else.
Having US citizenship but not having good education and talent will lead you to Mcd\Donalds kind of job for $6 per hour.

Because doing an MS involves a lot of investment, and it would make sense for me to do so only if I am able to leverage the US citizenship to some extent... else I would be content with a job in India itself.

Regards,
Paresh.

ashu1174 said:
Hi Paresh shenoy,

We need some advise from people like you who have already R2I. And, the advise is regarding education cost for kids.We are here in the US for past 3 years and plan to move back to India permanently by end of this year (2007). We both have Indian Citizenship.

Some of our questions are:
1) Is there a big difference in fees for elementary schools in Bangalore (difference between US citizen kids and Indian citizen kids)? Obviously, there will be some difference.
2) What is the option for higher education (i.e., undergrad education) as the fees will be higher...to my understanding 3 to 4 times higher than the Indian citizen kids? This kind of fees will not be affordable for people like us who stayed here only for a couple of years and did not really save much in dollars. So, what is the option? Please suggest. I want to know from your experience.
3) I heard that we can get Indian passport in the US for the kid even though the kid is born in the US. (Assuming that we are ready to forgo the US passport and the US citizenship). We have not applied for US passport yet and hence the Indian consulate does not have any objection for this. [In fact, earlier when there was no rule for getting passport for the kids, lot of people used to travel with the kid's name in mother's passport]

Is this a safe option (assuming, we are not worried about US passport)? Are there any issues with this when going out or entering US again (later, may be 10-15 years later...again, applying for US visa on Indian passport).

Please Advise...It will be really great to hear from you.

I will be awaiting for your reply.

Thanks in Advance.

I can answer your question on passport. You can get an Indian passport but you will not get a US Visa for your kid at all. US govt. will say that being born in US they are citizens and hence they need not have visa. What I would suggest is get an Indian passport and then surrender it and get an US passport. In this way you have ensured that your kid is an Indian citizen first and then an US citizen. Will help a lot if u decide to settle down in India. But forget about ur kid visiting US on a visa as he/she will not get one.

Mr

Hi Paresh,

My company (IT) is looking for person with US citizenship, but residing in India.
Are you interested or know anyone who fits this criteria, please let me know. you can email me on maheshd@xpanxion.co.in. This is urgent and important. Thanks

Regards,
Mahesh

Hi all,

I am a US citizen( DoB : '1982). I was born in New York City, and I hold a valid and legal US passport. Both my parents are Indian. We moved back to India in July 1985, and have been residing here ever since. We are currently staying in Bangalore, India. I have done all my schooling and education in India itself.

I have a few questions:

2.Will I be eligible for any additional kind of aid / grants?

2. Also, I have heard from people that it is much easier for a US citizen to land a job than an international applicant. Is this just a notion, or do companies pick people based on their strenghts/merits? Because doing an MS involves a lot of investment, and it would make sense for me to do so only if I am able to leverage the US citizenship to some extent... else I would be content with a job in India itself.

Regards,
Paresh.

Hi ,

My company (IT) is looking for person with US citizenship, but residing in India.
Are you interested or know anyone who fits this criteria, please let me know. you can email me on maheshd@xpanxion.co.in. This is urgent and important. Thanks

Regards,
Mahesh

Hi ,

Regards,
Mahesh

Are you saying that only a foreigner can apply for this job that is based in India? Isn't this discrimination?

Sri Ramaswamy Memorial University, popularly known as SRM University is a co-educational private university state of Tamil Nadu,India. The university has two campuses in Tamil Nadu at Kattankulatur, Kancheepuram district, Ramapuram and one in Modinagar, near Delhi. Previously functioning under Anna University, as SRM Engineering College, the institute gained deemed status in 2003-04, and was renamed SRMIST(SRM Institute of Science and Technology) and then eventually called SRM University.

The institution is ISO 9001:2000 certified.

The Campus Infrastructure

Biotech BlockThe campus is huge[peacock term] and the infrastructure is excellent[peacock term] and well maintained. The Indian Bank,The City Union Bank, The Royal Southern(a three-star hotel)which includes swimming pool and bar facilities, and the Royal Inn Restaurant are located in the campus grounds. The various blocks within SRMIST include, SRM General Hospital, SRM Medical College, SRM Kaatankulathur Dental college, the PG Block, the Hi-Tech Block, the Main Block, the Mechanical Block, the Mech PG Block, the Electrical Sciences Block, the Computer Science Block, the Biotech block,IT Park,an auditorium,MBA block, MBA library along with a Library with an Internet Cafe as well. There are also about half a dozen hostels, some of which are the K.R.S Hostel, Medical College Mens and Women's Hostel the UG Hostel, the PG Hostel, Meenakshi Women's Hostel, International Hostel.

Admissions
Admission to SRM Engineering college is based on an entrance examination SRMEEE(SRM Engineering Entrance Examination) which is conducted in centers all over India and Bhutan. Short-listed students will be called for counseling and admission procedures will be carried out.

Education
Top ranking students are given the opportunity to spend a semester in institutions like the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (USA), Carnegie Melon University (USA), University of California - Davis (USA), University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee (USA), SUNY - Buffalo (USA), Northeastern University (USA), Masschusetts Institute of Medicine - Josh Laboratory (USA), University of Western Australia (Australia), Birmingham City University (UK), Kyushu Institute of Technology (Japan), Lille Catholic University (France), Technical University Chemnitz (Germany), Umea University (Sweden)[1][2]. Around 104 students were selected for this Semester Abroad Program (SAP) in 2008.[1] [2] A few were offered scholarships while most of the students were supported by their family, during their time abroad.

SRM University has a unique[peacock term] arrangement with the University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee (USA) to transfer students at the end of the 3rd year for a comprehensive two-year BS+MS program at University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee. SRM also has a dual degree program with the University of Warwick (UK) in the area of Plant Biotechnology. A similar program is being worked out in co-operation with Dundee University (UK).[3]

Placement
Companies that visit the campus for recruitment include ABN-Amro, Coke, HP, Mahindra & Mahindra, Sanmar Group, Titan Industries, Accenture, EDS, Hyundai, Mindtree, Satyam, TVS Group, AIG Systems, Essar Group, ICICI, Minda Group, Schneider, TVS Sundaram-Clayton, Areva T&D, Ford, I-Flex Solutions, Maveric Systems, Siemens, Technip, Amada Soft, Foster Wheeler, Infosys, Maytas, Sapient, US Technology, Bajaj, FL Smidth, Intel, Murugappa Group, Sonata, Vendata, Birla Soft, HCL, I-Gate, NIIT ************, **** Group, Vizual Business Tool, Caritor, HDFC, JSW Steel, Oracle, Standard Chartered, Wipro, Caterpillar, HSBC, Keane, Patni, TATA Group, XANSA, Citigroup, Hexaware, Reliance, Reliance, TATA Consultancy, Cognizant, Honeywell, L&T ECC Division, Ramco, TATA ELXSI etc.

University has maintained a record[peacock term] number of placements for the past several years.

[edit] Research and Development
Research and Development is of paramount importance at SRM University and it boasts of a state-of-the-art nanotechnology laboratory. Students, right from undergraduates to PhDs, are encouraged to think independently and are inspired by the able and experienced faculty to author research papers in their chosen field of interest. The close proximity of the technology and biology/medical faculties help in the research and development works in new fields that fall in the intersection of biology and engineering streams (biotechnology, genetic engineering, biomedical engineering etc).

Examination System
Each academic year is divided into two semesters. Each semester has three internal exams and one final exam (semester exam) for all theory subjects. For laboratory courses there is usually one internal exam followed by the final exam.Most of the exams are theoretical and like most other engineering colleges in India.