US citizen can't find pharmacy intern position

nancy4pharm

i am a US citizen but foreign pharmacy graduate. I started working as a pharmacy technician with xxxx pharmacy before getting my state intern license. Now I am registered with the state board of pharmacy as a pharmacy intern but the pharmacy i am working at won't change my status from tech to an intern.Ascribing that to no positions available and enough pharmacy schools in this area(meaning they will hire interns from school).tried to explain my stituation to pharmacy district manager but nothing was done!!
is this considered discrimination?
where are we suppose to get trained if non of the pharmacies are hiring froeign graduates?this is still my country and I have the right to practice like any other US graduate?
are we suppose to work as techs and getting paid as techs to get the internship hours(I dont need sponsership, I am citizen)?
can I refer my issue to Human resources department?Please advise

A lot of people do not get jobs for which they are qualified. Based on your description, I dount that there is anything you can do except to continue to apply to various entities.

Feel free to abandon that job and seek a different one that will satisfy your needs. That's capitalism. I m in the same boot as you re. Just crazy!!

if they will not take you as an intern pharmacist, leave your place of work and go to a different pharmacy. if you like it so much go back to the district manager and ask him if he/she understands your situation. i dont see any reason why they would take a school intern over a grad intern, unless they cant afford to pay you as a grad intern rate. if this dont work, try different pharmacies. good luck!

Feel free to abandon that job and seek a different one that will satisfy your needs. That's capitalism. I m in the same boot as you re. Just crazy!!

well said .. in capitalism is very normal thing that you won't be working or doing the job you are trained for .... also in capitalism on every success story there is a 100 000 failures and thousands of desperate people on the verge of suicide..so I won't recommend change of jobs because I think in the next pharmacy could be even worse or you might not even get another shoot to work at the ANY pharmacy ever again considering economic crisis and all that ....tough times are ahead and I would suggest that you should just be grateful that you have a job at the first place
allegedly pharmacy jobs are available all over but the fact is that there is a tons of pharmacists looking for jobs

so I won't recommend change of jobs because I think in the next pharmacy could be even worse or you might not even get another shoot to work at the ANY pharmacy ever again considering economic crisis and all that ....tough times are ahead and I would suggest that you should just be grateful that you have a job at the first place

That attitude is a recipe for failure.

That attitude is a recipe for failure.

wise words real canadian ...OK lets do like this . SUPPORT THIS GUY WHILE HE IS SWAPPING JOBS (say ..send him a check every month ) OR FIND HIM A BETTER PAID JOB ....my guess is you not gonna put your money where you mouth was ... ARREST MY CASE...
lots of people have a good advice for needy in this country .. but all that falls short when actual action is needed..."
"everyone can talk the talk but can you walk the walk"

wise words real canadian ...OK lets do like this . SUPPORT THIS GUY WHILE HE IS SWAPPING JOBS (say ..send him a check every month ) OR FIND HIM A BETTER PAID JOB ....my guess is you not gonna put your money where you mouth was ...

Why should I? If the OP is smart enough to get through pharmacy school, they're smart enough not to quit Job #1 until they have a better offer in hand. Most Americans who DIDN'T go to pharmacy school are also smart enough to look for work while still employed.

ARREST MY CASE...

I don't think that expression came out the way you wanted it to! :D

Maybe you should look after another company which accepts your degree!
Good luck and don't give up