US-Canada Border experience

sickINS

Registered Users (C)
I travelled by my car through the US-Canada border and produced the RTD for the officer there. He asked me if i visited my home country. Is this guy an immigration officer? How did he know that I am not supposed to go to my country? He then put my RTD in an envelope and ask another officer to give it to the INS office. I had to wait 45 minutes in the INS until these asses issued an I-94 for me.. So my question is: Is the guy who check your document at the border familiar with immigration issues or he is just a border patrol people... I traveled through Canada across Windsor before and did not have such a hard time. this time i traveled through niagra fall.

i never had problem with immigration officer at border
everytime i go through, they just ask where i live, why i go to canada, if i bring back fresh food, thats all.....one out of 50 times, they ask me to go in and check with immigration, but i just got a stampe on my rtd and then go freely

sickins

Inspectors are from one of the the four agentcy of Public Health, Immigration, Customs or Agriculture. After 9/11, they have undergone inter-department training to perform inspection for all each other. Now I believe they are intergrated to U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP). I would not be surprised to know that one of them knows about a RTD holder can't return to his home country.

Border patrol agents don't do the inspections at those posts, they instead work 20-30 miles deep along the border targeting meanly illegal across between the POEs.

Btw, would you tell your experience with your entry to the Canadian side. Can one apply CA visa at the land port now? with RTD?

Thanks

---------------------------
wish everyone good luck

Always obtain Canadian visa in advance from consulate before planning your trip to canada. They DO NOT issue any visa or permission to enter canada on RTD.
Somebody gave my uncle this misinformation and he showed up at the border with RTD only, and was promptly returned by Canadian officials to US side.

Lazerthegreat said:
Always obtain Canadian visa in advance from consulate before planning your trip to canada. They DO NOT issue any visa or permission to enter canada on RTD.
Somebody gave my uncle this misinformation and he showed up at the border with RTD only, and was promptly returned by Canadian officials to US side.

thanks a million. the great? :)