US born kids

gogia

Registered Users (C)
Hello Gurus,

We had a baby girl 2 weeks back and I have a few questions about her status in India.

If I leave US for good in the next few months after getting the PP and PIO for the baby, what status will the baby have in India?

How long can she live in India at a time?

If she decides to come to US later when she grows up, what are the options and timing restrictions if any?

Once back in US, can she apply for her siblings :) , if yes, for what status?

Thanks

First of all Congratulations on the birth of your daughter.

Your daughter's status in India will be like Indian GC, she can pretty much do everything except vote without restrictions. She can live in India as long as PIO is valid, I think after that you can extend that.

If she wants to come back to US, she can come back, no restrictions.

She cannot apply for anyone(siblings or anyone else) until she is 21 years old and what will be the rules after 21 years (less 2 weeks, as she was born 2 weeks back) I don't think any one knows.

Originally posted by PremChopra
First of all Congratulations on the birth of your daughter.

Your daughter's status in India will be like Indian GC, she can pretty much do everything except vote without restrictions. She can live in India as long as PIO is valid, I think after that you can extend that.

This is incorrect. A person who is not citizen of India and hold PIO card can stay unlimited time provided she has to register with Foreigners Registration Officer after each 6 months

This is the exact from Indian Embassy website:

Facilities to be extended to a PIO Card holder:-

(i) A PIO Card holder shall not require a visa to visit India.

(ii) A PIO Card holder will be exempted from the requirement of registration if his stay in India does not exceed 180 days.

(iii) In the event of continuous stay in India of the PIO Card holder exceeding 180 days, he / she shall have to get himself/ herself registered within 30 days of the expiry of 180 days with the concerned Foreigners Registration Officer at District Headquarter.

(iv) A PIO Card holder shall enjoy parity with NRIs in respect of all facilities available to the latter in the economic, financial and educational fields except in matters relating to the acquisition of agricultural/plantation properties. No parity shall be allowed in the sphere of political rights.

If you have a PIO, you need register with Foreigner Registration office ONLY ONCE before 6th month expiry.

If you are a foreigner you will be given a card similar to I94, (sometimes) attached to the PP.
Although it is not enforced for kids & babies.

Just curious why you are moving to India?

Although, i think it's a great decision. :) Seriously!

Congrats on the Baby!

dual citizenship

You might want to look into obtaining a dual citizenship (India and US) for your child. As an offspring of two Indian nationals (I presume u and ur spouse are Indian nationals), she can avail of Indian citizenship.
You could even consider relinquishing the child's US citizenship if frequent registration etc are a big trouble to you. Since she was born here, she can claim back her citizenship at any time (I am 99.999% sure on this, but just consult a good immigration attorney anyway).
Best bet would be to consult Indian embassy or consulate or the Immigration department back in India.

Originally posted by whats_in_name
I don't think dual citizenship is available yet.

Yes your right, it is not yet available. Indian Parliament will pass this law effective June 2004 and it will take some time to implement in all consulates abroad (probably around a year).

From what I know is that she can decide which citizensip she wants to keep after 18 years, but with dual citizenship, I am not sure how things will change? Maybe she doesn't have to give up any citizenship.

Without dual citizenship, she can not take up any public exams like UPSC, IAS, IPS etc.

Another good thing is that she can come back here for higher studies without having to worry about visa, sponsorship and all that crap and she can work here without any restrictions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks friends,

You guys are so quick to address any questions anyone has !!!

One of you asked why I was moving to India :
Well, I'm not moving right now, but I'm open to it if it comes to that.(My heart is still in India !!). I do not intend to move if it harms the baby's future prospects in any way. Just wanted to make sure from you guys that the baby will not suffer later because I wanted to follow my heart....

I think my main concerns have been answered :

Baby can claim her US citizenship at any time..
She can stay in India as long as she wants....Registration should not be a hassle...

I dont think she will want to take the pains for IAS, IPS exams if she knows she is a US citizen.. :)

Thanks again guys...

** Please continue the discussion. We may get some more views on this...

I think when the child is 18 he/she has an option to chose the citizen hsip of either his birth country or citizenship of his parents if the parents are still carrying the passport of their birth country.

as per the registration it is same whether the kid is on Visa or PIO.

The registration is very easy . you need to go to ASP's( assisant Superdent, fresh IPS guy's not DSP) office at district HeadQuarters (Eventhough ASP office exists in taluks ) and they will issue the card similar to I94.

You have to show it when you are leaving India at the Airport.

Originally posted by gogia
Thanks friends,

You guys are so quick to address any questions anyone has !!!

One of you asked why I was moving to India :
Well, I'm not moving right now, but I'm open to it if it comes to that.(My heart is still in India !!). I do not intend to move if it harms the baby's future prospects in any way. Just wanted to make sure from you guys that the baby will not suffer later because I wanted to follow my heart....

I think my main concerns have been answered :

Baby can claim her US citizenship at any time..
She can stay in India as long as she wants....Registration should not be a hassle...

I dont think she will want to take the pains for IAS, IPS exams if she knows she is a US citizen.. :)

Thanks again guys...

** Please continue the discussion. We may get some more views on this...

Just one more question to my curiosity!!! How long have you been in USA?

I have been here since 1991, i did my BSEE from Chicago.. did all sort of odd jobs, and i feel i am still the same..........(don't know why i haven't moved back as yet)! Maybe some day...........:)

tufan,

I've been in this country for just 3 years. My employer has filed for my LC already. I'm thinking of moving back to India but at the same time would like to keep these things(GC...) going as long as I'm in US.

I was in Chicago for the first 2 years. On the move after that.
Looks like you have had enough experience with the GC process.
It is really difficult to unsettle after you have put so much effort and patience.
One thing i feel bad about being here is that time will fly much faster here than in India and before we know, we would be past our prime. I wish to move back to enjoy some of the things I've been missing, beofr eI get too old for them. I dont know I will move or not for sure but that is what i Want !!!

Good luck. Keep it in your heart. The day will come !!!

I had a college friend back in India 13 years ago who was a Sri Lankan citizen. I think he was Indian by birth. Every semester I have seen him go to the local SP's office to register or whatever.

We have a 1 year old who was born here. Of late I've been thinking of going back, not that I want to go back by next month. Reason is I feel lot of stress here (both of us work in NYC and live in Princeton, NJ). Take care of the baby, house, work bla bla. Atleast back home we could deligate some work and concentrate on other things, may be get some time to relax/enjoy ourselves. Here we have to play multiple roles. This is a nice topic to discuss. I am also in the process of applying for PIO and it was my impression that PIO=Dual Citizenship. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Originally posted by bunchofquestion
I had a college friend back in India 13 years ago who was a Sri Lankan citizen. I think he was Indian by birth. Every semester I have seen him go to the local SP's office to register or whatever.

We have a 1 year old who was born here. Of late I've been thinking of going back, not that I want to go back by next month. Reason is I feel lot of stress here (both of us work in NYC and live in Princeton, NJ). Take care of the baby, house, work bla bla. Atleast back home we could deligate some work and concentrate on other things, may be get some time to relax/enjoy ourselves. Here we have to play multiple roles. This is a nice topic to discuss. I am also in the process of applying for PIO and it was my impression that PIO=Dual Citizenship. Please correct me if I am wrong.

That's what i have heard. NJ people are stressed out. Sorry, but people don't like living in NJ. I guess you don't have a choice. NO OFFEENSE Please! I have read on this website only.

Hope you get what you want in life!

Last edited by a moderator:
Dual citizenship

Dual citizenship is already enacted in India. Only procedural delay in giving the same.
Go to the consulate general site http://www.indiacgny.org/php/showNewsDetails.php?newsid=8&linkid=19.
Have you already applied for the passport in USA? I did not read the whole thread so excuse me if you answered this somewhere.

Also about your child coming back to US, she can opt for the US citizenship at the age of 15 or 18 ( I forgot the exact age. Pls verify this). Basically, no one can renounce the citizenship in US until the age I mentioned above. By birth, your daughter is a citizen of USA. Basically a person born in USA can live anywhere until this age and then has the option to renounce the US citizenship only after attaining that age and there are procedures in doing the same.
I can provide more links if you want.

If you can wait before you leave US, wait until you get the Indian passport. Get the USA passport also and go to India in peace without worrying about the procedures at the later stage.
Cheers.