• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

US Address (after the interview)

creature

Registered Users (C)
Hi folks,

I've been searching through the forum for an answer but to no avail.

I'm a DV2013 winner with the interview coming this May. Originally I've answered the questions 10 and 11 (asking for my US mailing and permanent residency address) on the DS-230 as "N/A (will provide at later date)" because at that time I had no US mailing or residential address available to me. I have no friend or relatives in the US.

Now for the interview I'm planning to tell them that I still don't have any US address secured and would like to provide the address at POE if possible. I've noticed some folks here on the forum were asked about where to send the GC at their POE.

My questions therefore are:

1. Has anyone experienced a similar situation? E.g. telling the embassy there is no US address yet but giving them the address at POE? Can this work?

2. Until about two weeks ago I thought I have secured an apartment for me and my family in the US and wanted to use that address during my interview, but it turned out to be a scam and I lost a large amount of money. I don't trust anymore any online ads and planning to spend first couple of weeks in the US in a hotel of some kind before finding an apartment personally via a reputable rental agency. At the POE, can I give them an address of a mail forwarding service, such as Shipito or MailUSA? If not what about PO Boxes or at the worst case my hotel's address?

After I've been scammed I'm desperate finding a reliable US address and it looks like I won't find any until I actually come to the country.

Many thanks for your guys help!

Hi folks,

I've been searching through the forum for an answer but to no avail.

I'm a DV2013 winner with the interview coming this May. Originally I've answered the questions 10 and 11 (asking for my US mailing and permanent residency address) on the DS-230 as "N/A (will provide at later date)" because at that time I had no US mailing or residential address available to me. I have no friend or relatives in the US.

Now for the interview I'm planning to tell them that I still don't have any US address secured and would like to provide the address at POE if possible. I've noticed some folks here on the forum were asked about where to send the GC at their POE.

My questions therefore are:

1. Has anyone experienced a similar situation? E.g. telling the embassy there is no US address yet but giving them the address at POE? Can this work?

2. Until about two weeks ago I thought I have secured an apartment for me and my family in the US and wanted to use that address during my interview, but it turned out to be a scam and I lost a large amount of money. I don't trust anymore any online ads and planning to spend first couple of weeks in the US in a hotel of some kind before finding an apartment personally via a reputable rental agency. At the POE, can I give them an address of a mail forwarding service, such as Shipito or MailUSA? If not what about PO Boxes or at the worst case my hotel's address?

After I've been scammed I'm desperate finding a reliable US address and it looks like I won't find any until I actually come to the country.

Many thanks for your guys help!

You need an address my friend. This is a pre-requisite for your interview because the KCC/USCIS needs a place where they can send your GC and SSN to. Do you not have a friend or relative in America from whom you can get an affidavit of proof of address?

I believe you can rent a mailing address through the United States Postal Service www.usps.com but you need to check up on this.

Someone else on the forum (fakloun) had the same case as yours in that he/she didn't have an address so there is discussion of renting a mailing address (which is valid for 6 months).

Thanks Momo1980. I've read that thread now when you pointed it out to me, but there wasn't really anyone who would have had the same experience and succeeded. I have no friend nor relatives in the US. I'm choosing between PO Box or a mail forwarding service such as Shipito. Has anyone out there used either and it worked out?

No experience with it to be honest and I haven't asked anyone (I'll dig around to find out for you) but I don't think it should pose a problem. I mean not everyone has someone they know in the US so I am sure the authorities would give some leeway or have some understanding of that.

So I'm guessing you don't have an I-134 form. Have you got a job offer there yet?

Thank you. If you find anything, please share. I don't need the Affidavit of Support because I have enough of my own liquid assets to prove during the interview and yes, I do have a job offer. My current employer wants me to work for the company's branch in the US. I don't want to use my employer's address as my mailing address because it's not yet for sure what office I will be based in.