Urgent - Working on an approved DS2019

pvs6

Registered Users (C)
Hello everybody,
I'm currently on a J1 visa which expires on Aug 14th 2004. My workplace is still processing the paperwork for my extension. If I"m unable to go for my visa renewal before my current visa expires,
a.Am I legal to work in the US with a new approved DS2019? If yes is there any website that you know of which states the above?
b. Can I go for a visa interview to Canada/do I need to go to my home country (India)?
c. What is the current situation with regards to visa appointments in Canada?
d. If in case my visa extension is rejected can I still come back into the US?
Any early reply with regards to these questions will be greatly appreciated. I'm greatly concerned as I've hardly a month left on my current visa.
I'm a new user, I have always gone through these forums for a lot of a clarifications with regards to visas.
Hoping to hear something soon.
Thanks in advance

i think you can remain in the US for one month after your current DS-2019 expires. if you get your new DS2019 by then, you can work. you dont need a visa unless you decide to leave the country in which case you will have to go back to your home country to get it.

Hi
In my personal experience getting an extension on your valid J-1 visa is an hour's job.Just entering the family details, taking a fresh print out of DS 2019 from SEVIS and signing the document establishes extension of your J-1 visa. This can be done on any working day in less than one hour by the "
International Students advisor".

You have mentioned "My workplace is still processing the paperwork for my extension " I do not understand this statement. Are they doing the paper work since 14th August. I am surprised ???. If they are willing to extend they should have done this with in 10 minutes. Strictly speaking this is a 10 minutes job.Something is wrong.Try to investigate

akalingan@yahoo.com

there are 8 subcategories of J-1 visa. Exchange student is only one of them - and their extension of status is indeed a 10-minute procedure. However, for others - it could be quite a hassle.

That said, just like psychmd7 said, once you extend the status, you do not need to renew the visa UNLESS you decide to leave and reenter the U.S. and do not have a valid visa already.