Urgent trip to India---just got US Citizenship certificate- Visa or Apply both Visa/OCI at same time

skris912

Registered Users (C)
Hello All, I have read the forums, i need to go INDIA in Sept/OCT and i just applied for US Passport, i will get passport in 10days but if i apply for Visiting Visa to INDIA for 6 months and when i come back from INDIA , Can i apply for OCI CARD?, As per this thread-Houston tracker its takes an average of 3 months, so if i apply for OCI card in Sept it would take 3 months.. i have below 3 options?

1. Appy for Visit Visa for 6 months and once i come back from india i can apply for OCI card, Is there any problem for OCI card to get approved if i travel india for one time on visit visa and apply for OCI card later?

2. Apply for both OCI Card and Visit visa in same month and go india on Visit visa and give US Passport for OCI card when its ready in 3 months?

3. Apply for both OCI Card and Visit visa and go to INDIA for vacation and pick up OCI card in Delhi consulate and come to USA on OCI card?..Is this possible or apply OCI card directly at Delhi consulate? i am from hyderabad.

PLEASE ADVICE.!

Hello All, I have read the forums, i need to go INDIA in Sept/OCT and i just applied for US Passport, i will get passport in 10days but if i apply for Visiting Visa to INDIA for 6 months and when i come back from INDIA , Can i apply for OCI CARD?, As per this thread-Houston tracker its takes an average of 3 months, so if i apply for OCI card in Sept it would take 3 months.. i have below 3 options?

1. Appy for Visit Visa for 6 months and once i come back from india i can apply for OCI card, Is there any problem for OCI card to get approved if i travel india for one time on visit visa and apply for OCI card later?

2. Apply for both OCI Card and Visit visa in same month and go india on Visit visa and give US Passport for OCI card when its ready in 3 months?

3. Apply for both OCI Card and Visit visa and go to INDIA for vacation and pick up OCI card in Delhi consulate and come to USA on OCI card?..Is this possible or apply OCI card directly at Delhi consulate? i am from hyderabad.

PLEASE ADVICE.!

I can just tell you what I did. I applied for an expedited passport and got it back in 10 days. Instead of visa or OCI, I went the PIO route as its almost as good as the OCI benefits wise. Also, to "upgrade" from PIO to OCI is only $40 or so. Using express (overnight) shipping fedex both ways, I got my PIO card in 11 days back. Overall, I got my Passport/PIO/return Nat Cert all done in about 25 days. Trick is to have all the documents (except passport) ready to be mailed to the consulate as soon as you get the passport. Travisa process is very efficient in my view.

Most likely I will stick with PIO for now, unless we decide to stay in India for longer duration. When it is due for renewal in 15 years, I will switch to OCI or whatever scheme is available at that time.

It will not be an issue but you pretty much have to go through the same paperwork process as you would for PIO. I would get a visa and apply for OCI instead of going through insane amount of paperwork twice.

Milli, thanks a lot and this trick sounds good and helps a lot for others for urgent travel rather waiting for 60 to 90 days for OCI card.

am planning to follow the same route you did. but few quesitons.
1. Do we need to apply for Renunciation of PIO ?, if this same as Renunciation ceritification...normally it takes $175 dollars so wonder why there is huge price difference...under the FAQ tag , i see as per below we can apply for Renunciation Certificate in the same Fedex over night mail.?:confused:

Question: Do I need to complete a separate Order Form for a Renunciation Certificate if I am also applying for a PIO card?
Answer: No, only one Order Form for an PIO card is required. You can submit your renunciation requirements together with your PIO card requirements.

For Reference Fee:
Please note that all Non US passport holders will be charged a reference fee of $20.00 in addition to the total fees below. In addition, the processing time is usually 90 days at a minimum.
Service Type Consular Fee Service Fee Total
New PIO (Adult) $368.00 $12.00 $380.00
New PIO (Minor) $188.00 $12.00 $200.00
PIO Endorsement (for New Passport) $23.00 $12.00 $35.00
PIO Re-issue (Duplicate Card) $103.00 $12.00 $115.00
Renunciation of PIO $3.00 $12.00 $15.0

Milli, thanks a lot and this trick sounds good and helps a lot for others for urgent travel rather waiting for 60 to 90 days for OCI card.

am planning to follow the same route you did. but few quesitons.
1. Do we need to apply for Renunciation of PIO ?, if this same as Renunciation ceritification...normally it takes $175 dollars so wonder why there is huge price difference...under the FAQ tag , i see as per below we can apply for Renunciation Certificate in the same Fedex over night mail.?:confused:

Question: Do I need to complete a separate Order Form for a Renunciation Certificate if I am also applying for a PIO card?
Answer: No, only one Order Form for an PIO card is required. You can submit your renunciation requirements together with your PIO card requirements.

For Reference Fee:
Please note that all Non US passport holders will be charged a reference fee of $20.00 in addition to the total fees below. In addition, the processing time is usually 90 days at a minimum.
Service Type Consular Fee Service Fee Total
New PIO (Adult) $368.00 $12.00 $380.00
New PIO (Minor) $188.00 $12.00 $200.00
PIO Endorsement (for New Passport) $23.00 $12.00 $35.00
PIO Re-issue (Duplicate Card) $103.00 $12.00 $115.00
Renunciation of PIO $3.00 $12.00 $15.0

If you go through the application flow on travisa site it will take care of everything including the total fees. In fact they have done a decent job in eliminating lot of confusion. You can apply for renunciation along with PIO/OCI and GOI has increased the fees recently. But the certificate is a joke as they send back your application with just date stamped on it.