Urgent questions (please help)

tangonta

Registered Users (C)
I am planning to go Canada this weekend. My I-94 still good for until next year (H-1b). But I used EAD for work, so I lost H-1b status. My question is

1. Is my I-94 expire even expire date show next year?
2. When I reenter to USA, I must use AP, so in this case, can I have new I-94 or officer will not take old one (just look current I-94)? Because passport and I-94 are enough to cross border.

I-485
RD:03/08/02
EAC-021465****

Irrespective of your I94 you need AP to re-enter US again. When I went to canada long time back, airlines didnt took my I94 so its upto the airlines. Keep in mind, now visa is mandatory to enter US even from Canada, so its better to have AP and for I-94 leave it to officer, if it is taken while departing then u will hv new one when reentering US.

for canada..you dont need to give I-94

thats my understanding especially if one is going for less than 30days. one always needed to have visa to enter US from canada. now they have made it necessary for canadian GC holders also.
aks the officer at the border for the right method. Good luck.

Does any one know if a US Permanent Resident (GC holder) needs to Visa to visit Canada as well?

Just like Canadian Permanent Residents now need to have US visa to visit US...

Thanks.

and the most important question to ask yourself is
3) Is this the right time to visit canada("SARS" Threat)?

:) :)

Tangonta

It might depend on your mode of travel. By Air or By Road. I went to Canada in 2000 May by road at Niagara Falls and also to Windsor from Detroit. My whole purpose was to get a new I-94, as I was changing the company and my new company wanted me to get a new I-94 so that INS records will reflect my new company name. I got the new I-94 while reentering US and US immigration official collected my old I-94 and gave me the new one with my new company's name on the back.

While in Canada, I met canadian immigration officials and requested them to take my existing I-94. But, they flatly denied and said, you need this I-94 when you go back to US for maintaining your status. They will take the I-94, if you leave to someother country from Canada, without returning to US. US and Canadian immigration departments have that understanding.

One of my friends went to Canada by air and they took his I-94 at the departing airport.

Hope this info partly helps you.

Bob

tangonta

I visited twice Canada in 2000 and 2001. I had a valid Canadian Visa. At POE (Niagara Falls), they verified my passport, and Canadian Visa. That's it. They neither take my I-94 nor reissued fresh I-94.

But according bbishop, he got a new I-94 issued by Canadian Immigration officers. It seems they are not consistent. It is better to consult an attorney or visit the Canadian Immigration website to check for the new rules to visit canada.

Hi buddy,

Thank you very much for your input. I must write more detail. I change job from government to private company, when I started job in private company, I used EAD instead of using H-1b transfer. So now my status is not H-1b also I-94 is invalid (I guess). On June, my wife and daughter will go to Japan for 2 months. (for refresh daughter's Japanese language skill) This is a first over see trip for her without me. And without visa. So I wanted make easy for her reentry to us. So before she back to Japan, we wanted to have stamps on our AP. I guess, if we have stamps on our AP, it is more easy to reentry to US, just only show stamped AP. Otherwise, I must explain a lot of things (still worry if she can do so) such as she must give AP to officer instead of invalid H-4 or VWP and have one copy from officer after stamp and have new I-94 with stamp.... or possible to go 2ndary inspection room etc. If we can have stamped AP in Canada, things become easy. Here is CT so it takes about 4 hour to Canada by car.
This is a reason, so we will not stop so much in Canada so SARS is ok vijayrc.;)
Sorry for my bad English

Tangonta