Urgent Questions About Sponsoring a Relative

Nov01

Registered Users (C)
Have a list of urgent questions about bringing a relative on visitor visa.

1. I am planning to invite a distant relative (aunt) on visitor visa. It is hard to prove the relationship. Hence in her letter to the consulate should she mention she is visiting her relatives? (Nephew/niece). Will they ask for proof of relationship? She will have to go for a personal interview at Chennai consulate. Is it better to show the application as that for a relative or as for a family friend?

2. Her financial status is not very good. Hence not many bank statements/passbook with long transactions etc. She has a small piece of land and a house in her name. Can show proof of children living with her. (Children are married and with family). Husband has passed away. Are these sufficient to show her ties to the homeland?

3. She was in a gulf country for about a year 6 months ago on a visitor visa. Is this a problem?

4. She can’t speak English very well. Can only talk Malayalam. How will she manage at the consulate interview?

5. What measures can I take to ensure she could get a visa?

Thanks a lot for your advice and opinions.

It is more difficult for a distant relative to get a visitor's visa where the relative does not have the financial strength or previous international travel patterns. Prepare her to answer the following questions at the consulate:

1. Why are you visiting US?
2. Why is the sponsor sponsoring YOU, not any of his/her closer relatives like parents, etc.?
3. What do you plan to do in US?
4. Do you plan to babysit/look after sponsor's children while in US?
4. How can I be sure that you will return to India?
5. Who is paying for your trip?

Chennai Consulate has multi-lingual staff, so language should not be a problem.

You can never ENSURE that she gets a visa but send sufficient documentation showing your immigration status, your income, employment, financial position, etc.

Thank You

Thank You for the information. The list of possible questions are very helpful. I also had a look at immihelp and US State Dept web site for supporting documents.

Sponsering Aunt

what is a good answer for the 2nd question.....i.e

Why is the sponsor sponsoring YOU, not any of his/her closer relatives like parents, etc.?

thanks