• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

URGENT: Question re Evidence of Support

luckySAboy

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,

My interview in is March, but I've run into a problem. My father got laid off in mid-January so he can't submit a job letter with the I-134, and he doesn't have enough in his bank account to meet the poverty guidelines. I have a few questions:

1) Is the I-134 the form I need to submit? I saw another Affidavit of Support form (form I-864) on the USCIS site. I just want to be sure that the I-134 is the one I need to file and not the I-864.

2) I do not have enough money saved at the moment to meet the poverty guidelines but I will by the time I'm due to leave for the U.S. in late August. Can I make this case to the consular officer on the day of my interview in March?

3) Do you necessarily need to have a relative file the I-134? I have a couple friends in the U.S. who are willing to do one for me. Would this be acceptable?

The Evidence of Support if the last thing I need, so would really like to get this sorted out asap.

thanks for any advice

Hi All,

1) Is the I-134 the form I need to submit? I saw another Affidavit of Support form (form I-864) on the USCIS site. I just want to be sure that the I-134 is the one I need to file and not the I-864.

Yes, I-134. The I-864 is for family-based immigration, I-134 for immigration through the lottery program

Also the person filling out the I-134 form will also have to have funds above the poverty guidelines I believe.

And for 2) - You can try but it probably will not matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also the person filling out the I-384 form will also have to have funds above the poverty guidelines I believe.

Hi smcg,

What is the I-384? I thought I had to submit an I-134?

Yeah, the persons I have in mind have income above the poverty guidelines. They'll be submitting a letter from their employer so indicating.

Hi all,

Thanks for the guidance so far.

I have another question. On the I-134, the last question (question 11), asks the sponsor whether they intend to make specific contributions to support the person seeking sponsorship (i.e. me).

The sponsor is instructed to "indicate the exact nature and duration of the contributions. For example, if you intend to furnish room and board, state for how long and, if money, state the amount in U.S. dollars and whether it is to be given in a lump sum, weekly or monthly, and for how long."

My question is: what is a good duration if the person is offering money? Would 1 year of support at, say, $1,000 a month be sufficient? Or does it have to be longer?

Any and all guidance welcome...

thanks

Hi all,

Thanks for the guidance so far.

I have another question. On the I-134, the last question (question 11), asks the sponsor whether they intend to make specific contributions to support the person seeking sponsorship (i.e. me).

The sponsor is instructed to "indicate the exact nature and duration of the contributions. For example, if you intend to furnish room and board, state for how long and, if money, state the amount in U.S. dollars and whether it is to be given in a lump sum, weekly or monthly, and for how long."

My question is: what is a good duration if the person is offering money? Would 1 year of support at, say, $1,000 a month be sufficient? Or does it have to be longer?

Any and all guidance welcome...

thanks
We had problems with I 134 question 11 as well. We searched the internet for an acceptable way of completing this. We used the internet suggestion, but our embassy would not accept it. they only accepted it when the sponsor ticked "I intend" and put the wording "I will provide accomodation and living expenses for a period of 5 years".

Remember, I 134 is not legally binding, so you can give your sponsor that assurance as well.

thanks, Noe... I'll be sure to point out that the I-134 is legally non-binding.

Anybody else has experience filling out form I-134?

thanks, Noe... I'll be sure to point out that the I-134 is legally non-binding.

Anybody else has experience filling out form I-134?

Fellows, it is a mistake to think I-134 is non-binding. I will advice you to carefully read the instruction documentation, especially Section titled Sponsor And Alien Liability http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-134instr.pdf . It spells it out in details.

What you should consider is how many times have any agency sued/prosecuted sponsor/alien for failing to live up to their obligations in the I-134.

Being a sponsor is a serious matter that must not be taken lightly. Serving as a Sponsor has a serious implication for future possible sponsorship, thus he/she needs to consider the near and long term implication of their obligation for acting as a sponsor. Agreement to sponsor a friend may impede the Sponsor's ability to act as a sponsor for a family member in the future, depending on their net worth, of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
Medpharm.

Thanks for the clarification... Any guidance on how to answer question 11 on the I-134?

Your sponsor can note the following: I will assist by providing guidance and the support necessary to make sure the DV 2009 winner integrate seamlessly into the American society without the need or aid from public assistance programs.

I will try something to that effect.

100% applies American military people and others. Says at both of guidelines.
You will need to meet the 125% figure for one person - $13k