Urgent question about living 3 months in local district

Bobsmyth,

Can you clarify your statement "The same district residency requirement is 3 months per 8 CFR 316.3"

Does that mean it has to be the 3 prior consecutive months before the N400 application or can you have lived in the district for 3 months over the past 6 months or so? In my case, I've lived in the same district for over 3 years except for a 3 month period when I moved to another state. I returned back to the same address about 2 months prior to applying. I'd like to understand the impact this might have.

Thanks.

Bobsmyth,

Can you clarify your statement "The same district residency requirement is 3 months per 8 CFR 316.3"

Does that mean it has to be the 3 prior consecutive months before the N400 application or can you have lived in the district for 3 months over the past 6 months or so? In my case, I've lived in the same district for over 3 years except for a 3 month period when I moved to another state. I returned back to the same address about 2 months prior to applying. I'd like to understand the impact this might have.
3 months in another state, and then you came back to the same address? You kept the same lease or mortgage for the original residence while you were in the other state, correct? Seem like you weren't "living" in the other state, you were just visiting. So that 3 month trip wouldn't stop you from meeting the "3 months in the same district" rule.

That's essentially correct.

However, I did declare the move in the N400 application, declared an address change using AR-11 and paid taxes in the "new" state for the duration I was there. Not sure how to respond if an IO argues against the "temporary move" which is why I ask the question. Thoughts?

That's essentially correct.

However, I did declare the move in the N400 application, declared an address change using AR-11 and paid taxes in the "new" state for the duration I was there.
But you filed taxes as a part-year resident for the state you were in temporarily, correct? And as a full-year resident for the state you were in for the other 9 months?

Does 3 months mean district or state? I live in CA too and have moved around, within CA only-but they have so many field offices. I am thinking of applying for N400-but not sure weather 3months is for the local field office or for the state? Thanks in advance..