Urgent - Plz Help me J-1 waiver with TWO Case Numbers

lakksh

Registered Users (C)
Dear Folks:

Please go thro the below and suggets me what should I do.

Background:

I came to US in Feb 2005 on J-1 visa and left US in March, 2006. Came back again in Sept 2006 on J-1 to different university and have been working there since then.

I applied for a J-1 waiver in July, 2007 and my Case Number is XXXX. I sent all documents; DS-3035, all DS-2019, statement of reason and fee to DOS, Missouri as mentioned. In the meantime, I requested my Indian Consulate and Embassy to issue me a NOC with the Case Number XXXX with BAR Code page obtained from DOS website three weeks ago.

Today I have received a letter from DOS, Washington and asking me to send all DS-2019 and statement of reason again. To my Surprise I could see a different Case Number YYYY and realised that they generated it when I asked for Advisory Opinion in 2005 (never looked at that letter after July 2005).

Here is my Situation:

According to the Case Number YYYY, DOS website says that they received my DS-3035, DS-2019, fee and statement of reason on July 12, 2007. But now they want me to send all DS-2019 and statement of reason again.

My question:

I have no problem in sending the requested documents to DOS, Washington. But the Indian Embassy, Washington is going to issue (not sure if they had already issued NOC because CGI-Chicago issued NORI three weeks ago) NOC and forward it to the DOS with Case Number XXXX.

What does DOS do now: Since they could match my recent waiver application with Old Case Number YYYY. Will they do the same when they receive NOC from Indian Embassy.

Please suggest me what should I do now and share your views if you had similar experience.

thanks a lot to everyone

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe only one case number is supposed to be assigned to a person - even if one needs an advisory opinion first and then a waiver eventually. You should call DOS at their number 202 663 1225, press 1 and then 0 and talk to a representative to try and combine both case numbers.