Urgent Please Help???Interview tomorrow

dadababu2000

Registered Users (C)
I got a speeding ticket (in Parkersburg, WV) in 1996 when I was in Ohio and I paid about $100.00 fine for it. I have mentioned this on my N-400. I called several times to the county court to get proof of payment but they told me there is record of it because it is so old. I requested my Ohio DMV record, which is also empty because I paid for it and it is old (per Ohio DMV). I am going for the interview tomorrow (in Miami DO). I can not remember the exact date of the ticket and exact amount I paid for. What should I do? Would it create a big trouble for me? Now, I am thinking, I would have been better of by not mentioning it. Except this I have a very clean record. Please share your thought/experience??

just let the officer know

I got a speeding ticket (in Parkersburg, WV) in 1996 when I was in Ohio and I paid about $100.00 fine for it. I have mentioned this on my N-400. I called several times to the county court to get proof of payment but they told me there is record of it because it is so old. I requested my Ohio DMV record, which is also empty because I paid for it and it is old (per Ohio DMV). I am going for the interview tomorrow (in Miami DO). I can not remember the exact date of the ticket and exact amount I paid for. What should I do? Would it create a big trouble for me? Now, I am thinking, I would have been better of by not mentioning it. Except this I have a very clean record. Please share your thought/experience??

u should be fine just let the officer know ur attempts to get the record but because its so old they couldnt provide u with a proof and u should be absolutely fine, yrust me they know when ur telling the truth .

so in with a positive attitude and confidence and let me know how u did?

I don't think you should be worried about this. First, this happened more than 5 years ago, so it is already beyond the scope of what they are looking at. Second, in my case (and I read here in many cases too) they don't ask about docs for these citations too often (though still possible). In case IO does ask you for it make sure you answer truthfully and only answer the immediate question. Go into your details about trying and not being able to get documentation ONLY if you are asked about producing the docs.

pls update your status tomorrow on how it goes..

dadababu2000

good luck with your interview...

based on so many posting here that I read, you should be fine...

I am sending my n400 tomorrow....
I am in same situation and don't hv any record of one of the citation (speeding ticket in 01 and court don't have any record, i have sent a letter/money to them to send me "no records found" statement to me, it's been a while and hoping that i will receive a letter).

but, i am mentioning about this ticket as this should be normal citation...as per many readings.....

appreciate if you could reply tomorrow with status on how your interview went and so that we all know....

Just go with whatever docs you have and do not bring up the issue at all. IF and only if the IO asks about the incident tell him/her the truth. Ideal case they will just ignore it. Worst case they may hold off on the decision till you submit more proof.
In any case be relaxed and appear normal, friendly and courteous.

If you still have time, write affidavit under oath stating that to your best knowledge and memory you have paid all the tickets and attempted to procure your ticket information....Get it notarized and attach your DMV record. This was also suggested on this board. I did it for my interview but again this was not an issue. They basically want to know if you have any DUI.
Good luck.

That's the problem with reporting traffic tickets on the N-400. It's not neccessary to do so, but if you do then they will ask for records stating it was paid off.

Not sure if they will request that and leave it upon you to track it down or not. As one experience I saw, the IO stated you don't need to worry about putting them down, but if someone does we need to prove it was paid.

In that case you might just have to write a report of all the places you contacted and such to show that you activly looked for proof of payment as GChopes mentioned and hope that does the trick...

Finally the interview is over!!

Following are the details about my interview today

N 400 Mailed: 12/28/06
FP Date: 1/30/07
IV Date: 7/26/07
Waiting for the oath

I went to the USCIS Office at 8:15 am. Was called for the interview at about 9:10 am. No, major issue with the traffic tickets but the officer asked whether I had any DUI, Arrest or Suspended Driver License. Obviously the answer was "No" because they were all for speeding/signal violation. My officer was very professional and courteous. Did not ask any proof of payment or anything. Went through my application re-verified all Yes/No questions. Asked about martial status, children, profession, employer, federal tax, etc. all standard things. Even before she asked me any civic question, I saw that she checked "Pass". Then she told me to write a sentence on the same paper where there were 10 civic questions. Then she told me read a sentence from those 10 questions and asked all 10 questions. The questions that I could remember are as follow:

Name 2 senators from your State
Who the first commander-in-chief?
How many voting members are there in the House of Rep.?
Name of the ship which brought pilgrims to the US
Which year Declaration of Independence was written?
Who was the president during civil was?
Which body can declare war?

I can not recall the rest. After this she congratulated me and told me that I should receive my oath letter between 1 and 3 months. I also thanked her. My wife was also interviewed by another officer today and at end of her interview the officer gave her piece of paper, which says "congratulations! You passed the test and will get oath letter in the mail" something like that. But the officer who interviewed me did not give anything like that. Any idea why? Anybody?

A possibility is that the approval requires both a senior IO and a juninor IO to sign off. If your wife was interviewed by a senior IO, the other IO's signodd is e simpler formality, which allowed her to receive the document. If you ahve been interviewed by a junior IO, the senior IO's review may be more formal and require a little more time.

My previous post was lost on this board's slowness and busyness. Congratulations and thanks for the update. I wouldn't worry, interviewer congratulated you and mentioned oath. Perhaps she forgot to give you the form. I wouldn't think much about it.

My 2 cents.

Last edited by a moderator: