Urgent - Need Help Please

Hi,

My wife left for India on July 7th on a valid AP, however her adjustment of status has been approved on July 8th... . My question is:-

1) How soon does she have to come to the U.S in order to get her I-551 stamp on her passport in the airport.? (can she come a month later..?)
2) Can she get the GC stamp I-551 in India? is there any possibility? (I can fedex the approval notice to India)

I really appreciate your replies..!

HI Senthil,

One of my friend recently got approval for him and his wife when his wife was in India, (she is still in India) He got his passport stamped and left for India. His wife is going to use her AP and enter USA. She is going to get her passport stamped once she returns.
He said that he has discussed this with lawyer, and then he has taken the decision.

I hope this helps, but still check with lawyer.

Last edited by a moderator:
As Per My Knowledge 551 stamping is not possible outside the country ......
She can travel back using her AP and get it stamped.

She should have no problems coming back in on AP even if 485 has already been approved a month back - they will send her for secondary inspection, and when they put her details in the system, they will find that her 485 has been approved.

From what I have read, they will then let her in and tell her to go to local CIS office for stamping - occasionally I have read of people actually getting their I-551 stamping done at the US POE, but don't think this happens very often.

Hope this helps