Urgent...name change for wife

piplanih

Registered Users (C)
Hi guys & gals,

I'm a green card holder getting married later this month in India. On our return, my wife would like to change her last name to mine.

1. Since she's in school (F1 student), the school records can be changed per set format.
2. If we do this, would her passport would need to be updated too? This is for the event that she needs to travel at a later date; hence her passport and I-20 should match, else questions may arise at port-of-entry.

So, any recommendations for going in for a change in her last name?

Thanks,

I don't know why we indians are so obsessed with changing names of our wives. Here goes.

Once you have the Marriage Certificate, you can get the name changed. You will need to get the new name on her passport too. We (my wife and I) instead decided not to get the name changed. As is, since we are going through so much documentation and processing why add more to it?? Does it matter what your wife's last name is? I guess not.

When my wife (a US citizen) tried to get her name changed, the Social Security guys told her to get a new passport reflecting her new name and the passport guys require a corrected Social Security card to correct the name. Go figure. Hence we thought it wasn't worth it to go in circles to just change the names.

Originally posted by piplanih
Hi guys & gals,

I'm a green card holder getting married later this month in India. On our return, my wife would like to change her last name to mine.

1. Since she's in school (F1 student), the school records can be changed per set format.
2. If we do this, would her passport would need to be updated too? This is for the event that she needs to travel at a later date; hence her passport and I-20 should match, else questions may arise at port-of-entry.

So, any recommendations for going in for a change in her last name?

Thanks,

Re: Re: Urgent...name change for wife

Mr Patel,

a marriage certificate is enough evidence for the SSA to change the name in their system.

Maybe it is. But My Wife and I both are Patels. So, to change the middle name it would require a sworn court affidavit and the rest of the good stuff. I take it that piplanih here wants to change both the middle name and the last name or just the middle name. In both the cases it is a hassle to get a name change. If he just wants the last name changed maybe its easier but we decided to drop the idea of the name change anyways.

Originally posted by sachinphadke
Mr Patel,

a marriage certificate is enough evidence for the SSA to change the name in their system.

Re: Re: Urgent...name change for wife

No it is not a hassle

the marriage certificate shows the FULL NAME of both the husband and the wife.. the SSA form asks for the FULL NEW Name.. so why is that a problem??

Well, when we tried to get it changed, we went to the SSA office in Piscataway, NJ SSA Office. Presented her Social Security Card, My social security card, and the Indian Marriage Certificate and filled out the Form. When we saw the person taking the forms she said, that the marriage cert. qualifies the Last Name change. If we wanted to change the middle name, we would need a Passport bearing the New Name to make the change. When I asked what would be needed to get a new passport, they said, a sworn court order declaring that the wife had changed her name. :(. So, we dropped the idea. Now she has a different full name on the SS Card and the Driver License and a different Name on most of the other places like Banks, Property papers etc. We have accepted that.

Originally posted by sachinphadke
No it is not a hassle

the marriage certificate shows the FULL NAME of both the husband and the wife.. the SSA form asks for the FULL NEW Name.. so why is that a problem??