Urgent.... Marriage certificate

katipatang

Registered Users (C)
My friend, who is a Green card holder, is getting married next week in India. He is a catholic and will get married in a church. Will he need to get married in a court in order to sponser his wife? If yes, where should he get married first, in the church or in court? He only has a handfull days of vacation. Any help is appreciated.

Your friend should have an official (court issued) marriage certificate in orders to sponsor his wife for the GC.
The particular order he’ll do it (in church and then in court, or in court and then in church) doesn’t matter for INS, and as long as his church performs marriages before the civil ceremony he should have no problems.

He can take the marriage certificate of the chruch and get it registared. Please verify this from the sub-registrars office. I have a friend who got this way.

Does any one knows how long does it take to get a marriage certificate in India? Say one gets married in a temple . Can One go the next day to the Court and get the marriage certificate. What are the documents required ?

Thanks
-Ajit

katipatang said:
My friend, who is a Green card holder, is getting married next week in India. He is a catholic and will get married in a church. Will he need to get married in a court in order to sponser his wife? If yes, where should he get married first, in the church or in court? He only has a handfull days of vacation. Any help is appreciated.
Does your friend know that it will take a long time before the spouse can join him/her here in the US ( about 3-5 years )?

Registration of marriage in India

Ajit

In India, you can register a marriage performed in a temple the same day at local registrar. To my knowledge you have 30 days to register. You need to take invitation cards, photos and two witnesses along.

In 1992 it took us 3 days to get the certificate after registration.

Please verify this information with other sources as well.