Urgent : Interim EAD : No sameday applications

cscgc19

Registered Users (C)
My EAD is expiring on Dec 9th. I was always of the impression that it is a one day process to get the new interim EAD. But my lawyer told me today that INS San Jose is accepting IEAD applications only by mail and it takes 2-4 weeks to get the IEAD.
If this is right then I will have to go on leave for 3-4 weeks.

Is there anybody who has recently gone for IEAD ? Please post your experience. Anybody who is going to apply for IEAD, if you can check this with your lawyer, that will be great.

Originally posted by cscgc19
My EAD is expiring on Dec 9th. I was always of the impression that it is a one day process to get the new interim EAD

It's true if you applied for renewal EAD and 90 days passed after RD.

Why are you going to apply in INS San Jose office? Are you on EBGC proccess?

Re: Re: Urgent : Interim EAD : No sameday applications

Originally posted by Tasse

It's true if you applied for renewal EAD and 90 days passed after RD.

Why are you going to apply in INS San Jose office? Are you on EBGC proccess?

I filed for EAD extension in Sep and 90 days are getting over on Dec 4th.
What is EBGC ? I do have my I-485 application pending. WAC 01-293-xxxxx

Re: Re: Re: Urgent : Interim EAD : No sameday applications

I filed for EAD extension in Sep and 90 days are getting over on Dec 4th.
What is EBGC ? I do have my I-485 application pending. WAC 01-293-xxxxx

EBGC - employment based green card

http://www.ins.gov/graphics/howdoi/ead.htm
Interim EAD: If INS does not approve or deny your EAD application within 90 days (within 30 days for an asylum applicant; note: asylum applicants are eligible to file for EADs only after waiting 150 days from the date they filed their properly completed original asylum applications), you may request an interim EAD document.

I went to san jose center and learned that they only accept mail/drop box.

it said we need i-468 form. what is this form? this is what the full instructions say ..

ead based on i-485, adjustment of status packet submitted in snj office, are now mailed or dropped in teh 'drop box' outside the ins building only.

submit the completed

1. form i-765
2. copy ead doc being renewed
3. 120 fee, check or money order only
4. two, (2) i-468 filled out with your a-number, and and complete address

an appointment will be sent within 2-4 weeks.

Do I have to file for EAD renewal at CSC (90 days prior ?),
in order to be eligible to mail for EAD (interim ?) in SJ???

Can somebody make it clear for us all? PLEASE!!!

Originally posted by stain
Do I have to file for EAD renewal at CSC (90 days prior ?),
in order to be eligible to mail for EAD (interim ?) in SJ???

Can somebody make it clear for us all? PLEASE!!!

yes, you should apply atleast 90 days prior to the expiration of the existing EAD and if the new EAD does not come in 90 days, then send application by mail to the SJC INS.

Did anybody get Interim EAD from SFO INS ?? Are they accepting the IEAD application in person ?

what about getting interim EAD for the first time..ie 90 days have passed after the EAD application...
does it fall under the same category..?
(AFAIK - one doesn't need $$ check and photos for that !!)

yes, you should apply atleast 90 days prior to the expiration of the existing EAD and if the new EAD does not come in 90 days, then send application by mail to the SJC INS.

Did anybody get Interim EAD from SFO INS ?? Are they accepting the IEAD application in person ?

So, if the local office requires now 1 month to process iEAD, does it mean that I cannot work during this month???????

(Assuming that I filed for EAD renewal 90 day prior to expiration, and then after 90 days when EAD is finally expired, I am sending another application to SJC - which will require one more month)

Last edited by a moderator:
we just got IEAD from SFO in a day me & my husband,applied for renewal in august,RD:29 August 2002,so it was not 90 days and the SFO people were very nice we went a little early around 7:00 am and got the IEAD on the same day,it was pretty simple.

hope that this info helps.
thanx,
racs_12.

Originally posted by racs_12
we just got IEAD from SFO in a day me & my husband,applied for renewal in august,RD:29 August 2002,so it was not 90 days and the SFO people were very nice we went a little early around 7:00 am and got the IEAD on the same day,it was pretty simple.

hope that this info helps.
thanx,
racs_12.

wow.. thats a great news for me ... that definitely helped ... my EAD expires on Dec 9th and my 90 days gets over on Dec 4th ...
I will go to INS tomorrow and get this done with before the long weekend and before SFO INS changes their mind...

stain,
yes .. you will not be able to work if your EAD expires and getting an IEAD takes a month ... ( SJC INS is taking 2-4 weeks to give the EAD)...

FYI.

saw this post in the EAD/AP section...
and the date for this post is yesterday( 26th Nov)
so looks like SFO is still issuing iEAD same day...hope that SJC also does that !!!

http://boards.immigration.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=66701
----------------
santosh99

Interim EAD at SF..

Hey Guyz,

I picked up an Interim EAD from SF office today which took all the damn day over there !

We just need a copy of the Receipt notice..Nothing else !! No passport copies, No pictures.. They are taking a polaroid picture at the counter and issuing it. No qns asked about 140 and 485 too.. Just the receipt notice of 765 is checked that 90 days have completed !

But, the Interim expiry date is after 3 months !

Maybe this info helps for anyone looking for an Interim EAD !

Good Luck !