urgent, I-94 question

venkatram

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I just came back from my home country. My passport is expiring in the next month. The officer at the entry gave the i-94 for only one month. My visa expires next year. The officer told me that I may have to go out of the country once I get the new passport to get the new I-94. Can I avoid this. I have EAD also. I am planning on moving onto EAD and apply for Advance Parole. Do the USCIS issues new I-94 with adv. parole. Please let me know

What are the options available...

Somebody told me that, either I have to re-apply for H1 or go out of the country.

thanks in advance

Is there any other way

Thanks

venkatram said:
I just came back from my home country. My passport is expiring in the next month. The officer at the entry gave the i-94 for only one month. My visa expires next year. The officer told me that I may have to go out of the country once I get the new passport to get the new I-94. Can I avoid this. I have EAD also. I am planning on moving onto EAD and apply for Advance Parole. Do the USCIS issues new I-94 with adv. parole. Please let me know

I am assuming your I-485 pe pending. If you want to maintain your H1 status till it is valid, then you need to obtain your new passport and re-enter USA to keep your H1 status. However, if you don't care about your H1 status and want to move to EAD, then you don't need to leave country and re-enter. Your I-485 keeps you in status. However, it is recommanded to keep H1 status valid.

venkatraman,

You may have to g out to get a new i-94. But you can get a new passport form an Indian consulate in the US. This is easier than getting a new passport from India. Well, anayways , check eith the consulate. U never know till u dela with them.

My 2 cents

Venkataram,

If you are in Bay area, you can get new passport from Indian consulate in San Francisco.

-Srinivas

addagarla said:
Venkataram,

If you are in Bay area, you can get new passport from Indian consulate in San Francisco.

-Srinivas

Thanks for the replies. yes I am from bay area. I will goto the embassy and get it renewed. Tomorrow I am meeting with the lawyer, lets see what she suggets. I have not applied for Adv. parole, do I need to apply for that., or 485 is good enough..?

Thanks

venkatram said:
Thanks for the replies. yes I am from bay area. I will goto the embassy and get it renewed. Tomorrow I am meeting with the lawyer, lets see what she suggets. I have not applied for Adv. parole, do I need to apply for that., or 485 is good enough..?

Thanks

Get the new passport & apply for new I-94

I got my new passport form SFO and was able to get it on the same day. Submitted it at 10 am and got the passport back 5 pm in the evening.

I had I 94 valid till the passport validity date, I applied for new H1 (Earlier one was expiring in 6 months time), got new I 94 on new passport. I did not go out of country to get the new I 94. All this happened last year June 2004.

I have got one extension of the I 94 last week (7th year) as well using the new passport I got last year. No issues.

Check again if you really need to go out.

venkatram said:

Thanks