Urgent Helpe Please !!!!

nilushi

Registered Users (C)
how long is the wait for a GC holder marring and F1, my boyfriend has been on his green card for over 9 years now, he's going to apply for his citizenship in a month.

but i wll be out of school, and out of status by the time his application gets approved .

so can we get married now that he is still on a green card?, and if we do, what kind of benefits do i get? Or can he apply for his citizenship and my greencard at the same time.

Please, any bit of advice will be greatly appreciated.

thank you.

Once you are married he can file an I130 application to sponsor a relative alien, but the wait is too long, and it won't give you any status, it could help prevent you from deportation if you were in any trouble. If you chosen to wait until he is naturalized, he can then file the whole package, I130, I485 & I765, with the supporting application IG325 (Biographic) & I864 (affidavit of support). You then should receive your EAD (employment authorization) within 45 to 90 days, and finalize the rest of the applications within 6 month.

The problem is you will be out of status from the time your F1 expire until he is naturalized and file. Consult a lawyer NOW to see if there is any other options to keep you in status.
As far as options you can either extend the F1 maybe by applying for more courses, or leave the country and come back with a fiance visa once he gets naturalized (if you are not married yet) or do the interview in the US embassy and come back with GC (if you were married before you leave the country)

Again ask a lawyer to get accurate information, as 1 mistake might make a big difference.

nilushi said:
how long is the wait for a GC holder marring and F1, my boyfriend has been on his green card for over 9 years now, he's going to apply for his citizenship in a month.

but i wll be out of school, and out of status by the time his application gets approved .

so can we get married now that he is still on a green card?, and if we do, what kind of benefits do i get? Or can he apply for his citizenship and my greencard at the same time.

Please, any bit of advice will be greatly appreciated.

thank you.
Do nothing now (except getting married)!
Let him apply for his citizenship asap. That process could take 4-5 months, if no complications. The day he gets his naturalization (citizenship) certificate, he can file for your green card concurrently with I-130.
Your being out of status at the time of filing for AOS (adjustment of status) is NOT A PROBLEM! Overstay is forgiven to immediate relatives of US citizens. Just don't leave the country until your case is adjudicated.
And no, you won't have any benefits until you file for AOS.
Good luck!