Urgent Help,Unemployment benefits.

hassoon

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,
I lost my job today. I called the unemployment to apply for it, they said that they will check with the immigration. Do you know why they do this? is it to make sure that I am authorized to work. or to make sure I am permanent resident.

Here is my situation. I have I485 pending and work permit valid through 7/17/03, I applied to renewal on April 2nd.

Do you any one similar to my situation who got Unemployment benefits?

Please let me know,
The process will take few weeks before I know from the Unemployment office. I need to know soon if I am eligible or not.

THanks so much

But, I am eligible

Thanks so much for your reply,

I don't care much about my GC now, I care about some income. so, if I select to do, Can I? do they check if I have GC or they only care if I have work permit.

Thanks.

There is a good reason behind Silly Man's recommendation on not to take the unemployment benefits: Prior to the actual adjusting of your status you might get a request for evidence comprising of EVL and/or several paystubs. They often want to know if you're still employed. Asking for unemployment benefits might trigger such RFE even when otherwise you wouldn't get it.
And if you can't show the EVL and paystubs they can easily reject your I485.

On the other hand, you have to estimate two things: when can you expect your I485 adjudication (not soon unless your WAC begins with 02-0 or less) and how soon you think you can find a new job. If your wac# is 02-2*, you're fairly safe with taking the unemployment money.

Bottom line: you better be employed when your case adjudication comes.

You are right. For employment based I485s they usually ask for EVL and paystubs. Then again, lawyers submit these at the time of AOS filing so why they ask again, I have no idea. It would be a reasonable thing if one takes AC21, but people get RFEs even without AC21.

BCIS does not want to approve 485 if they lost their job in the process & are not working.

Thats also the same reason why they ask for marriage cert. for the renewal applications (EAD & AP) even though they have a copy on the first applns. They want to make sure that the secondary applicant is still married to the primary applicant.

Don't Ask for Unemployment Benefits

Bro,

I'll advise not to ask for Benefits because u'r 485 is based on employement and that means employer is intended to keep you for long time. Becuase u r not a GC holder, first thing you are not eligible for Unemployment benefit for sure 1000%.

Also, i'll advise to other folks in the thread, not to ask for Unemployment Beneifts close to 6 month after they get GC. Becuase i know a guy from Hydbad, who got his GC and and got layed off. he asked for such benefit and god knows they started paying him but after some time he got Notice from INS that his GC was revoked. You guys might have heard that INS says that after u'r GC you must stay with the company for alteast 6 month. however some situation you have to quit nothing can be done.

I won't suggest to ask for benefit. instead try looking for some job.

up_bhai is rite, mostly maximum you will get 1000, but you are screwed. Try looking for some job, and if you are in dier need of money to sustain your self work some where else part time.