Urgent help needed

goal32

Registered Users (C)
Gurus,

I am really kind of screwed.
We just found out that my wife's H1 will expire Feb. 1 two weeks ago then we applied for an EAD on first of Jan this year.
I know we will not get the EAD before Feb. 1. Her H1 is not used up yet. She is the primary on 485

Her attorney said we file an extension for H1 that cost us over $2,000.

What shall we do? Please advise!!!

Thanks so much.

Renewal of H1 seems to be the safest thing to do.
If EAD doesnt appear before the H1 expiry date then she might have lapse in status and hence might be ineligible to work. (You could get away with it if your employer is flexible, but if INS asks for status proof in an RFE, it might become a challenge)

Once a renewal is filed she could continue working and be on status. But once you get the EAD(in a short time) this H1 renewal would be redundant, but if you dont use the EAD at all, you could avoid the cost of applying for AP, on the other hand.

My 2 cents. This is not a legal advice blah blah

Other option

goal32

Depending on where you are located, you may want to try going to local INS office for EAD.

some INS offices give same day EADs, like Minialpolis, Denver .. as i remember people getting same day.. give it a try if your local INS gives same day..

In my case, i applied for H1 extenstion. But it should not cost 2000 for extenstion..
Its around 120 + LC fee ( should be less than 200 ) and your attorney fee..

You don't need t pay 1000$ .. which is needed in case of New H1s and 1st H1 extenstion..

Find out what's your attorney fee for H1 extention.. if you still need the INS link.. i can dig that and get it for you.

i applied my EAD extention myself.. Even after taking 3000-4000 these attorneis what to change a lot..

Don't let them screw you.

i got my ead extenstion in 6 weeks.. from NSC

Goodluck