Urgent Help: lawyer withdraw representative from INS

tomscard

Registered Users (C)
My lawyer suddenly told me that they will withdraw the attorney representative for my case from INS, since I am not the employee of company X in State I. After the withdraw, INS will directly contact me for my case.

My situation is:
Company X sponsored my GC. I485 filed over 15 monthes.
RD: Oct. 2001
ND: Nov. 2001
FP: Jan. 2002
No RFE so far
Got laid off after 12 monthes I485 file, still looking for job in another state.

Do you have any experience on this situation?
1. This withdraw will bring negative effect to my case?
2. Do I need to find a new lawyer for my case, or INS can directly
contact me?
3. What can I do? Thanks!

Thank you very much!

Tomscard

You can easily use AC21.
I GUESS it should not affect in any way if your lawyer is pulled off.
You can always have another lawyer respresent by filling G28.
INS will directly contact you if u dont have a lawyer respresnation. But I think it is always good to have a lawyer in case of RFE etc. But if you are confident that you can deal with the INS query then you are fine.

Good luck

Not a legal Advice ...

You need to find a job in a similar field/position as described in your labor petition. To take the advantage of AC21 you must have a job. You can hire another lawyer any time or if you find a new job your new company might have a lawyer of their own.

Good luck!

Thank you guys very much !

So the safest way is to find a new job, get a new employer,
while it is the toughest thing at this time!

Tomscard

If you are lucky, your case may be approved without any RFE. Many of the October 2001 RD cases are being approved without RFE.
If you get an RFE for current employement letter, you must have a job at the time you reply to the RFE. In that case, along with your new employment letter, you need to send a letter (usually noterized, and called "change of intent") saying that you no longer intent to be employed by the company who originally sponsored your GC. Your lawyer will prepare the letter for you.
In addition, lawyer will send you a cover letter to the RFE mentioning the AC21 law under which you are entitled to change job if the petition is pending for more than 180 days.

If you inform INS now that you are no longer employed by the original sponsoring company, you will certainly get an RFE for your current employemnt status.

Best wishes.

I am in the same situation

My RD is 12/31/2001. I was laid off three week ago. My biggest concern is what I can do if a RFE is issued for employment confirmation and I have not got a job.

What I can envision is that my case will be rejected and I have to leave the country soon after.

You will have about three months to reply the RFE. Even if you could find a job OFFER by that time, a good lawyer could help you out.
Without a job or job offer... you really need to consult a good lawyer with experience in AC21 cases.
The comment in my previous post and this post are the responses I got from my lawyer when I consulted her.
I got laid off after filing I-485. Gor RFE for emp. letter.
Got another job. Replied RFE using AC21.

Still waiting for final response/approval.
RD 9/04/01
ND 10/01/01

Good Luck to you all.