URGENT H1 extension related queries

Amrish

Registered Users (C)
I am in a peculiar situation and i needed ur help in this. My H1 expires say on Mar1,2002 and i am about to apply
for my extension. I have to be in my home country for my marraige in Apr 2002. Now i am not sure whether i would
get my h1 approval by mar end if applied now[meaning in the next 2 weeks].I need to know how long it would take
to get a h1 approval if applied in the next 2 weeks from vermont center. I had heard that it takes 5-6 months
to get one.
what is the exact process involved after i have submitted the papers to my lawyer?. IS there anything to be done
between he receiving the papers and he submitting it to INS?. If yes, how much time does that process take?

After that how long would it take to get a receipt no?. Since my visa would be expired when i travel in Apr, i need
to have the H1 approval in hand since i have to get it stamped before coming back to U.S. Am i right?
Can i come back with just the receipt notice?

How long would it take to get the actual H1 from the day i had sent the papers?[this is considering the christams vacations].
is INS closed suring christmas and if yes how long?

The reason why i am asking all this is i am thinking of filing through fast track processing to get my h1 approval
faster. WOuld that be a good idea to do now. as told earlier, my h1 expires mar1,2002.Can i apply for fast track now?
by doing this, how long would it take to get the h1 approval?

what is the process involved in this fast track? How reliable is it? I meant the success rate.? The reason for doing
fast track is i would get my H1 atleast by feb end or mar by which i would have it in hand when i go for marraige.
Do u think it is a good idea to go fast track[this is to play safe and not worry about delay in getting the h1].

Are there any loopholes or problems in fast track? Since my h1 expires say on mar1,2002, and i apply for fast track now and i
get it by feb end i.e. before my current h1 expires, what validity date the new h1 would have?.

Would INS allow me to file for fast track now or can it be done only a month before current h1 expires?

pls. let me know the answers to the above queries as i need to make a decision fast.
Also my company has asked me to pay the additional 1000$ for fast track. is that fine and how is it handled?
Is there a special form to be filled for fast track processing?

now my h1 and visa expires say on mar 1,2002. i would have a valid h1 when i travel to my home country but the visa
would be expired. is that fine?.
Or do i need to get the visa stamp before i leave U.S?

Secondly, how long does it take to get a visa stamp from within U.S?. What is the process?.
Are there any issues in getting it stamped here in U.S versus my home country India.
If i am travelling in mid apr and i get my h1 by mid feb by fast track, would i have time to get it stamped from U.S?

are there any issues in granting h1\'s with respect to the salary being offered to me?

Ur inputs would he highly appreciated.

Awaiting ur reply

A.S

H1 extention

According to my lawyer It is probably taking 3 months for H1-B. I applied for my extention in the middle of the last month. Lawyer says most likely i will have the approval by end of feb\'02. After you submit the papers to lawyer, they file LC and this taked a week at the most. Meanwhile lawyer prepares INS forms and sends with the approved LC to your HR and you for you signatures. If you leave to india before your extention is a approved you need to wait for approval and go for the stamping. Hope this helps.

Peculiar problem - Straight answer

Postpone your marriage to June 2002. Or go to India and ask your lawyers to fedex your approval papers to India. Anyway if you get married in April, you will be coming in the last week of April or May by which time you will receive your papers. Getting stamped in US is impossible for you as it will take atleast 2 months and you won\'t have your passport with you. Hope this helps.