Urgent! Going to be laid off in 3 months

rpurush111

Registered Users (C)
Today (Aug 9, 2007) I was told that I will be laid off in 3 months. My second term of H1B is expiring on July 15, 2008. PERM approved and I-140 is in progress. What can I do now? Is it possible to extend my H1B? If yes, for how many years? Do I have time to look for another employer?

Urgent, please reply ASAP.

Today (Aug 9, 2007) I was told that I will be laid off in 3 months. My second term of H1B is expiring on July 15, 2008. PERM approved and I-140 is in progress. What can I do now? Is it possible to extend my H1B? If yes, for how many years? Do I have time to look for another employer?

Urgent, please reply ASAP.

I hope you know that until Aug 17, you can apply for I-485 which can result in you and your family getting EAD. Then H-1 extension may not be a big worry after all.

Thanks for your reply. But I can't apply for I-485 as my wife is currently in India and will be back only by Ocotber. What can I do now?

You can apply yourself and then add her when she comes back, but being form india your pd might be retrocessed for years!! Can't she come back?

Thanks boss. But even if I plan to bring my wife, it's going to be too late right, as they will not accept any more I-485 application after August 17. I was also advised initially that it's better to wait and send both mine and my wife application at the same time.

Anyway, past is past. Let's talk about future. Please answer my initial questions (Today (Aug 9, 2007) I was told that I will be laid off in 3 months. My second term of H1B is expiring on July 15, 2008. PERM approved and I-140 is in progress. What can I do now? Is it possible to extend my H1B? If yes, for how many years? Do I have time to look for another employer?).

Thanks for your quick replies.

You can transfer the h1b. but unless you i-140 is approved, you wont be able to port your pd, and would have to start over