URGENT - CITIZENSHIP INTERVIEW TODAY AND Selective Service Question

NJ_CH

Registered Users (C)
Hi.,

I have my interview today. I did not know that I had to register for SS after getting GC.
I have no doc for SS.
What will happen? What is the best answer if asked abt this?

Any experiences?

thanks

Dharmesh:confused: :confused: :confused:

Some more info

My PR card says that I am resident since
4/17/97
and at that time I was < 26 yrs old.

See the following:

http://www.sss.gov/fsmen.htm

and

http://www.sss.gov/qa.htm

You have to prove your failure to register is not willing and knowing. The burden of proof is on you and standard of
burden is Convincing, standard heavier than prepondence of
the evidence but lower than beyond reasonable doubt.

Maybe you should also say that there is no harm done because
there has been no draft anyway during the time period
of intersst.

If you can not be natuialized, sue Selective Service Administration
for not doing enough to let you know. They never do a Selectiove Service ad on TV. A lot of born male citizens do not
know they have to register either. I heard such complain from
the military after 9-11. They say now teenagers say "go kick terrorists asses" but also say "No way" if it requires them to
go to war.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi

Thanks for all the replies.
I will let u know what happens.
still if some one has any other ideas , please let me know. I have 1.5 hours b4 I start for the interview.,

thanks
Dharmesh

>the Selective Services information is shown in every post office

It is hard for an alient to think such infor is relevent to him.

I think the INS should inform everyone on getting a green card
about the Selective service. After all, purpose of seletive service
is to have more people in the pool for draft not set up a
time bomb in an alien's later life.

>Thanks for all the replies.
>I will let u know what happens.
>still if some one has any other ideas , please let me know. I ?>have 1.5 hours b4 I start for the interview.,

So now let us know what happened in your interview?
If you do not answer, I can not help thinking you
may already been arrested for not registering Selective service:)

Hello JoeF,

This is new to me. Is it mandatory to register for Selective services after getting GC? Both me and my wife have crossed 26 when we got GC? Should we still register for SS?

Also, is it mandatory to register when you are on H1?

>The only people exempt are people on non-immigrant visas

Those who are on active duty in teh resereve or
cadets of the military academy, etc are aslo exempt

Last edited by a moderator:
Is h1 visa

I was on a student visa before and then I was on an H1b visa when I became 26.. Do I count???

Similar sitiuation

I became permanent resident about 4 months prior to hitting 26yrs.
I had no idea about selective service at that time, obviously came to know about it now - my interview is scheduled on Dec 12, 2002.

What do you recommend me to do now?

Your responses are greatly appreciated.
Regards

Thanks Joe for replying.

I called SSS helpline and explained my situation. "I was above 25 years when I received my residency and just 3 months left before I would turn 26 years."

The customer service person on the other end was very understanding and she took my details, SSN, DOB, Address and visa status during my stay in US. She said "SSS will mail status information letter". To mail status information letter it takes about 4-6 weeks, unfortunately I only have less than 4 weeks before my interview. Had I done this work immediately after receiving interview letter, I would have received status information letter prior to my interview.
Anyone can request for status information letter and it is important to have the letter, since it could be required if one is applying for Government job.

I was also hoping gadhiwala (Dharmesh) would respond, since he was in the same situation and I am curious to know whatever happened in his interview.

Best Regards

SSA letter

I called SSA on Monday and I received letter from them on Saturday, super service.

It states
"The purpose of this provision is to clarify that a non-registrant is not to be denied any Federal benefit if he can demonstrate that his failure to register was not knowing or willful."

It has other legal stuff "Section 12(g) of the Military Selective Service act (50 App. U.S.C 462(g))

I hope this letter should do it and opportunity to justify will get me through.
I will post my experience after my interview.
Regards

Thanks Muddy.

I am hoping your example holds hope for me. My interview is on Feb.6. I know that I am not required to register with SSS (got my green card when I was 31). Nontheless, based on JoeF's suggestion, I am hoping to get a backup letter from SSS as well.

Based on your experience, did they take your request over the phone? Today being a federal holiday, I cannot contact them.

In the event they don't take phone requests, I am sending a request letter along with supporting documents by UPS today to get a letter from them saying indeed I am OK.

Thanks

Keep it simple

Call SSS office, I hope they will confirm that you don't need to register for SSS - if you were over 26 yrs when attained PR status.

For me it was straight forward, she asked me about SSS and I provided the letter and explained about being unaware of the process.

>Based on your experience, did they take your request over the >phone? Today being a federal holiday, I cannot contact them.
I got letter in about a week!

>In the event they don't take phone requests, I am sending a >request letter along with supporting documents by UPS today to >get a letter from them saying indeed I am OK.
Unfortunatley the letter will not say you are OK. It is a Government document - it talks about Section, Law, Ammendments,.... etc

INS senior officers will recognize this letter (I had Jr. Officer and she went to check with her boss about letter).
I think if you have letter or not, you should be fine. I completely agree with Joe, it can't hurt to check with SSS office.

Thanks