Urgent- Can One Extend Landing Deadline?

suna

I am posting for a dear friend. Husband and wife just received their landing paper and the deadline on their immigration visas are only 8 days away from today. I don't know how they messed this up.

But they are asking: is it possible to ask for an extension of the immigration visa and landing? Husband is the principal applicant, but he is on business trip in Hong Kong right now, and may not be able to go to Canada in time. Can wife, who is in the States, go landing alone? Will the immigration officers turn her away because she is only a derivative beneficiary?

Thanks a million!

I am posting for a dear friend. Husband and wife just received their landing paper and the deadline on their immigration visas are only 8 days away from today. I don't know how they messed this up.

But they are asking: is it possible to ask for an extension of the immigration visa and landing? Husband is the principal applicant, but he is on business trip in Hong Kong right now, and may not be able to go to Canada in time. Can wife, who is in the States, go landing alone? Will the immigration officers turn her away because she is only a derivative beneficiary?

Thanks a million!

The date by which you should "land" cannot be extended. The wife should be able to land without her husband - at least try and explain the situation to the officer if asked about her husband. If successful, she will be able to sponsor the husband in the future, in case he cannot land by the date on his papers.

I don't think CIC messed up. Expiry date of the immigrant visa is either the anniversary of the medical or the expiration of the applicant's passport, which ever comes first.
Also, the principal applicant has to land before (or at the same time) the dependents. So in this case, the wife cannot land before the husband does.