urgent birth certificate advice needed

Hi All,

thanks to you all's advices, i approached the sierra leone consulate and they got me a 'birth-certificate'. However i still have a few questions:

1. In the bc, there is only middle name and last name. I plan to submit that along with embassy bc. What are the chances for any problems then?

2. initially when i applied I485, i had submitted affidavits from my parents which had the following sentence:

"...That his birth was not registered as this was not the custom of our country nor was it required by law. ..."

Will this be a problem because the bc says the birth was registered and could be interpreted to prove the affidavit wrong?

3. do i have to get any more affidavits because of lack of first name in bc?

Thanks for your help.

i485xxx

i485xxx,
Did you write to the Office of the Registrar of Births and Deaths in Freetown? Please see my earlier email and the link I had provided, for more info. USCIS officers will use this website in making their decision, as per some immigration lawyers.

If you get a reply from that Office of the Registrar of Births and Deaths in Freetown, I think it will be very useful to you as a "Certificate of Non-availability". Such a certificate, along with affidavits from 2 close relatives with knowledge of your birth, is sufficient for Indian citizens who do not have a proper birth certificate. I understand that your case is different, but a 'Certificate of Non-availability' from the Registrar of Births and Deaths will be a strong supporting document in your favour.

You should send your letter to Freetown by 'Certified mail with Return Receipt', which will create a paper trail. In case you get no reply from them, this paper trail will come in handy, if there is a need to argue your case further with USCIS. If I were you, I will write - or try to contact Freetown in some way.

i485xxx,
I just wanted to add that if you get a reply from Freetown that provides you an actual Birth Certificate, it will be most useful of course. I strongly recommend that you write to them.

actually i got the birth certificate from freetown. but now i have the following questions.

1. In the bc, there is only middle name and last name. I plan to submit that along with embassy bc. What are the chances for any problems then?

2. initially when i applied I485, i had submitted affidavits from my parents which had the following sentence:

"...That his birth was not registered as this was not the custom of our country nor was it required by law. ..."

Will this be a problem because the bc says the birth was registered and could be interpreted to prove the affidavit wrong?

3. do i have to get any more affidavits because of lack of first name in bc?

Thanks for your help.

i485xxx[/QUOTE]

If they had omitted your firstname due to an error on their part, you should try to get it corrected.

Or, was your firstname given to you after your birth was registered? If this is the case, you should explain it while replying to the RFE - and additional affidavits will help.

Can you let us know what your birth certificate from Freetown actually says? No need to give personal details though. Just want to know the wording and the name of the issuing authority.

I already replied to the RFE and included the embassy bc and a church bc. i havent included any affidavits. hope this will not be a problem

first name was given after birth was registered.

bc was issued by the ministry of health and sanitation, registrar of births and deaths, it is issued on a bc form and there is a bc nbr. it is in the following format

Certified true copy
------------------
this is to certify that xxxxxx , a male, child of <mothers name> nationalty <mothers nationality> and of <fathers name> nationality <fathers nationality> was born on <date of birth> at <time of birth> at <full address of place of birth>.

the event was registered at <registration center> in registry volume no xxx page no xxx no xxx of the registrar of births

Hi All,

Need more help from you guys.

Here is a brief history of my case:

When I initially applied for 485, i didnt have bc. I submitted affidavits from my parents and relative. They RFEd in 10/04 and asked for bc.

since i was born in Sierra Leone, i contacted authorities and managed to get bc. but it had only my middle and last names. I responded to rfe with the same.

now i have got 2nd rfe saying that my legal name is different from bc name and i should provide documentary evidence.

what should i do? should i get more affidavits from parents - please note i had already submitted affidavits in my initial application. if so what sould be the format of affidavits? should it be the standard bc affidavits?

any other documents needed?

all/any help is greatly appreciated in this matter.

Thanks.

VSC
I140 - RD 04/03 AD 04/04
FP - 08/04
I485 - RD 07/03 RFE(for birth cert) 10/04 RFE(for name inconsistency) 1/05