Urgent Advice Needed!!!

endretro

Registered Users (C)
My wife is an Registered Nurse from INDIA and we are in US now having a Green Card. The Green Card was filed by Employer/Hospital-A. We have the the copy of the OFFER LETTER from Employer/Hospital-A with us. We were in INDIA then and had taken the CP route for the processing of the GC.

But after coming to US, we came to know that the Employer/Hospital-A has filed for bankruptcy and the job was not there.

My wife then went ahead and searched for a job and found another JOB as RN with Employer/Hospital-B.

Now the agent through whom I had contacted Employer/Hospital-A is harassing us and is asking for a $10,000 fee for break of contract.We had never signed any contract with him. As per him, there was an "implied" condition that my wife had to work with an employer through HIM as it was through him that Employer/Hospital-A petitioned for us.

Do we have to worry about it? Have we done something illegal? Can the agent do us any harm?

I dont think you need to worry. You never broke the contract the other hopital did. If you can find any newspaper articles etc about the Hospitals bankruptcy I would save them in case you have issues in the future during your US Citizenship.
Instead of forking out $ 10 K i would consult a layer specializing in "employment labor law" in your state.
The agency seems to be only taking advantage of your lack of experience in American life and rules.
Things may change if you have received an advance from the contracting company or if they paid for your tickets to come here etc. In that case things may be different.
Just my 2c

Last edited by a moderator: