Upgrade I-130 after naturalization

krish24

Registered Users (C)
I am going take my oath on 06/08/05. I applied (I-130) for my spouse in 2002. I have only the receipt letter of I-130. I called the customer service and asked them what I should do to upgrade the I-130 after receiving naturalization certificate. The only answer is I have to call them. Here are my questions:
1. How can I upgrade I-130 --- Just call them and tell them I am a citizen now, nothing else?
2. What would be my next step in order to get IR1 for my spouse?

Thanks in advance for your time.

krish24 said:
I am going take my oath on 06/08/05. I applied (I-130) for my spouse in 2002. I have only the receipt letter of I-130. I called the customer service and asked them what I should do to upgrade the I-130 after receiving naturalization certificate. The only answer is I have to call them. Here are my questions:
1. How can I upgrade I-130 --- Just call them and tell them I am a citizen now, nothing else?
2. What would be my next step in order to get IR1 for my spouse?

Thanks in advance for your time.
You have to call them as well as have to send a letter with a copy of your Citizenship certificate.

amishah said:
You have to call them as well as have to send a letter with a copy of your Citizenship certificate.

Thank you Amishah for your reply. I applied on Sept'2002 and I only received the NOA from the service center. Is it normal or I should receive the approval letter with case # by this time? What I should do in this situation?

I was in the same situation. It is perfactly normal to just receive a NOA for I130 since you have applied on GC base. Your NOA should have a case# on it.

Thanks Amisha for your reply. “Your NOA should have a case# on it.”--- Do you mean receipt number?

krish24 said:
Thanks Amisha for your reply. “Your NOA should have a case# on it.”--- Do you mean receipt number?

Upgrading a Petition - If You Were an LPR and Now are an American Citizen

Suppose you filed a petition for your spouse when you were a lawful permanent resident (LPR). Now you are an U.S. citizen. You must upgrade the petition from family second preference (F2) to immediate relative (IR). You can do this by sending proof of your citizenship to the National Visa Center (NVC). To prove that you are a U.S. citizen, you can send:

A copy of the biodata page of your U.S. passport; or
A copy of your certificate of naturalization
If you are now a U.S. citizen, you must file separate immigrant visa petitions for each of your children. If you upgrade a family second preference (F2) petition for your spouse and you did not file separate petitions for your children when you were a lawful permanent resident (LPR), you must do so now. A child does not have derivative status in an immediate relative (IR) petition. This is different from the family second preference (F2) petition. A child is included in his/her parent's F2 petition. A child is not included in his/her parent's IR petition.

You can also find this information at http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1315.html

P.S: Include a copy of the I-130 NOA when you write to them along with a copy of naturalization certificate requesting the petition upgrade.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks fitness99 for your reply. But I have one more question right now: I only received the NOA (Receipt notice with receipt #) from NSC on Sept, 2002. Should I not receive the approval notice by this time with a case number or it is normal to wait 2/3 years to get approval notice with case #.

Krish,
If you have not gotten an approval letter yet, then you have to write a letter to the CS you first filled your I 130 for upgrading your case. U dont ahve to send a letter to NVC as your case does not reach them unless USCIS sends you an approval. So u better upgrade your case with USCIS so that they process your application now faster.

My situation is also like this but I already got an approval from USCIS and once I become USC, I will let NVC know. I filed my I 130 in July 2004 and got an approval fortunately quite fast :) Now waiting to file N400 in 2 weeks and then upgrade with NVC :))

Naaz

Thanks Naaz2004 for your reply. Look like I am the most unfortunate person in the world. I will upgrade my application with NSC. Thank you everybody for your valuable comments and thoughts.

Anyone with same situation

I sent I-30 for wife last june 2004 got approval letter in July but I was LPR now I have citizenship interview next month. Does anyone know how long they take in NVC to upgrade your case after you send them Cover letter and your naturalization certificate. this thread is very informative and we all should keep in touch for any updates and please post your timeline too.

I-130 sent: 06/2004
Approved: 07/2004
Case # Assigned by NVC: Aug 2004

Waiting to be citizen june 2005 interview :cool:

Would apprecite if anybody reply above (time to updgrade the I=130.

jaane said:
I sent I-30 for wife last june 2004 got approval letter in July but I was LPR now I have citizenship interview next month. Does anyone know how long they take in NVC to upgrade your case after you send them Cover letter and your naturalization certificate. this thread is very informative and we all should keep in touch for any updates and please post your timeline too.

I-130 sent: 06/2004
Approved: 07/2004
Case # Assigned by NVC: Aug 2004

Waiting to be citizen june 2005 interview :cool:

Regarding I-130 and I-864 (Affidavit)

Dear All,
I'll be glad if you can give me any advice on my issue. I got my citizenship on 6th of April 2005. I filed I-130 for my wife on 2002, when i was LPR. I got approval notice from department of state on March 26th, 2005. When I found I-130 has been approved, I didn't update I-130. Now NVC(National Visa Center) has send me I-864 (Support of Affidavit) form ( after I had paid a $70 processing to NVC).

Do you think I did a mistake by not updating I-130? If I update I-130 now, do you think it will go under another longer process?

I really appreciate your advice.
Thanks

upgrading case

hi all,
i am in the same boat, filed i 130 in 2004 have not received an approval letter yet and become a citizen now i have sent a copy of my naturalization to vsc and also talked to rep.
he took my information like my name ,husbands name,my father and mother name.date of birth country of birth and then he said u will notify within 30 days,
its been 9 days only lets see what happens