updating SSN after oath in newark DO

waitingforins2

Registered Users (C)
Hi Guys,

I read some people update their SSN in newark broad street DO after their oath.

Can someone let me know what floor to go to and what documents are needed other than citizenship certificate?

Thanks in advance

Hi Guys,

I read some people update their SSN in newark broad street DO after their oath.

Can someone let me know what floor to go to and what documents are needed other than citizenship certificate?

Thanks in advance

Why do you need to update your SSN? It does not change once you become a USC.

The number itself does not change. However, you need to update the Social Security Administration about the change in your status to make you eligible for social security benefits.

Useful SSA Info for Newark, NJ

Good news for Newark, NJ citizens. You can go to the SSA office at 10th floor to get the SSA records updated for new citizenship. Only a picture id and the Citizenship Certificate required.

I completed mine and my wife's SSA application in 10 mins.

From http://www.newcitizen.us/after.html

Reporting this change is actually to the benefit of you, the new citizen. Why?

The social security database will be updated showing you as a US citizen. This database is shared with all federal agencies and many state agencies further validating your US citizenship status with the federal and state governments.
With your social security records updated showing you as a US citizen, it will be much easier in the future to apply for and receive all social security benefits entitled to you.
If you ever have to replace your social security card, obtaining a new card will be easier now that you are a US citizen.
Lastly, in some states, certain disability benefits are only available to US citizens. By changing your citizenship status with the Social Security Administration you will ensure you receive all disability, retirement and social security benefits for which you qualify as a US citizen.

ok at least I am not the only person who is also hopeful for receiving Social Security benefits at old age.;)

I understand your SSN does not change after you update SSA about your citizenship status change.

But do u get a new SS Card in mail without your restriction on?

If you didn't already get an updated card without the employment restriction when you had a green card, you would fill out the SS-5 form and show them proof of citizenship and in about 2 weeks they will send a new one without the restriction.

Jackolantern Quote:
Originally Posted by Abed74

If you didn't already get an updated card without the employment restriction when you had a green card, you would fill out the SS-5 form and show them proof of citizenship and in about 2 weeks they will send a new one without the restriction.

I'm going to travel abroad for few months just after I become naturalized.My SS Card has employment restrictions on it and I never updated SSA after I got my Green Card. Now after becoming a Citizen If I update SSA regarding my change in Citizenship they may send me a new card without restrictions on it. But the problem is I will not be here to get the card. In this case I like to update SSA after I come back to US.

Is there any problems/issues getting back to US if I don't update SSA now?

Is there any problems/issues getting back to US if I don't update SSA now?
Presumably you are not going to be doing anything on your trip that would involve showing the SS card or having employers or government workers cross-check your status against the SSA database (which may happen for things like voter registration or DMV). So it's not a problem if you wait to update SSA until after you return to the US.

I guess I can apply to have the restrictions off while I'm waiting to be naturalized.
You could do that, but you'd have to do it again after naturalization, otherwise the SSA won't know you are a citizen, they'd still think you are a permanent resident. And them not knowing you are a citizen can cause trouble when employers or government agencies cross-check your info with the SSA.