Updating DMV?

Auscal

Registered Users (C)
Is there any need to update your status at the DMV after naturalisation? Does the DMV even keep records of your immigration status? I have vague recollection about seeing a post or two about this recently, by the search function doesn't pull up anything. If so, what is the easiest way to update?

I have just received my license renewal in the mail - i would really prefer just to be able to mail in a cheque for the renewal - a visit to the DMW here will take about 4 hours (if I'm lucky).

DMV does not collect/ Keep your citizenship status - SSA does. Updating you SSA id enough . Yes it may take a month or 2 for their computers to sync up.
At least that is the case with Massachusetts. Since DMV/RMV state base , their practice could you widely different. Drop in to DMV as ask. Most the times, their call center folks do not a clue in these cases

It depends on which state. We have post here that claim his DL expiration date is just his GC expiration
date. and I needed to submit GC when renewing DL.

But I don't think this is a urgent matter. You can just update next time you need to renew yoru DL.

I have just received my license renewal in the mail - i would really prefer just to be able to mail in a cheque for the renewal - a visit to the DMW here will take about 4 hours (if I'm lucky).
If you did not change the name during naturalisation, no need to inform the Californian DMV about your immigration status. Just use the mail renewal.

If you did not change the name during naturalisation, no need to inform the Californian DMV about your immigration status. Just use the mail renewal.

Thanks for the responses. Since I had no name change, my renewal date was tied to my birthdate (not green card date), and I have not read anything other than vague rumours on this site that notification was required - I just went ahead and renewed my license online.

In GA if you are not a citizen you have to come in person to renew your DL and present proof of you immigration status (Green Card, Work visa etc) the DL is given an expiration date of your immigration document or 4 years whichever is the shorter duration.

By notifying them that you are a citizen you can renew on line and save yourself long lines at the DMV every 4 years

DMV need NOT be updated after getting citizenship. SS administration should be updated. Whenever the DL expires, go for renewal and notify them of your new citizenship status. Once you do it, some states will let you renew DL online in future. What is the point in going to DMV before DL expiration? The same time can be spend when it is about to expire.