Update DMV records with GC

talkative

Registered Users (C)
I went to (California) DMV after getting my GC.

Interestingly, they have record of your immigration status. They updated mine to reflect the fact that I've become a permanent resident when I showed them my G-card.

~T

Last edited by a moderator:
talkative said:
I went to (California) DMV after getting my GC.

Interestingly, they have record of your immigration status. They updated mine to reflect the fact that I've become a permanent resident when I showed them my G-card.

~T

This may be a recent change in policy. I received my first CA DL in 1993 when I arrived in the US on an O-1 visa (3 year validity). I have renewed my DL several times since them -- they always sent me a renewal form by mail. Last renewal was in early 2001. I kept renewing my O-1 for over 10 years, and the DMV never asked to see anything. I got my GC card last year. I expect that when I next renew, in early 2006, it might have to be in person, and I may be asked to show updated immigration info then?

> I have renewed my DL several times since them -- they always sent
> me a renewal form by mail.

Same here. I have my DL for long beyond my prior H1B status would have allowed for. They didn't ask me about my immigration status, but when I told them, they updated.

The reason I posted this here is, with real ID having passed, I felt it was best DMV had the most up to date information about immigration status.

Good or bad aspect of updating their records, I'll leave it up to you all to decide!

~T