Unique situation - please read & advise

arty717

Registered Users (C)
Hello All,

I am caught up in a unique situation. Please read this through and give me your expert advice and give me some direction on how to approach with my application. Here is a detailed account of my case ...

I have taken up a job with "Company A", which is a contracting company, in November 2000. This is a very small company with good amount of revenues and had only 2 employees on H-1B other than myself. One of these guys filed for labor in Nov 2000 and the other in Feb 2001. The owners of this company are extremely nice and take very good care of their employees. Unfortunately, the company was very badly hit by the market down turn and they had to let me go in May 2001. I was lucky enough to get a permanent job with "Company B" and I started working there from June 2001. At that time, I was already on H-1B for 2 years. All along, I was hoping to get back to "Company A" whenever an opportunity comes. But unfortunately the company never recovered from the hit it took in 2000. "Company B" was not willing to process my GC, so I spoke with the folks at "Company A" and they agreed to start processing my GC. I applied for labor in Feb 2002. Mean while, the other two guys whose GC process started earlier, also had to leave the company and both of them took permanent positions in other companies but "Company A" continued supporting their GC. Both of them left the company after their labor was approved and 140 was filed (140 not approved, yet). Subsequently, both of them got approvals for 140 while being employed with a different company and filed for their 485. Incidentally, both of them got queries for Pay Stubs, W-2, Tax Returns & EVL. They provided the same by finding short term contracting jobs and going back to "Company A"'s payroll. One of them got his approval in May 2003 and the other as recent as September 2004. I got my labor approved in Sept 2004 and in the process of perparing to file for 140 & 485 concurrently, my attorney found that "Company A"'s tax returns for 2002 & 2003 are very bad and she had warned me that there is a 50-50 chance that my application may get rejected. Even though not good, Company A's revenues for 2004 look slightly better when compared to the prior years of 2002 & 2003. However, my attorney opines that 2004 financial situation doesn't matter. She also advised me that my chances could go as up as 80%, if I can get an affidavit from the owner of the company stating that he is willing to liquidate his assets if needed and pay my salary. The owner is extremely helpful and he is the kind of person who will go to any lengths to help his employees. Having said that, it is not fair for me expect an affidavit of this nature from him. He will have to consider a lot of variables like his family situation, disclosing his assets and will understandably take a lot of other personal things into account. My attorney says we could go ahead and file and take a chance. "Company B" is willing to process my GC now, but I know for sure they will harass me once get into their clutches. I am running out of time with my H-1B as I will complete 6 yrs with this status very soon. I am in miserable quandary and can't think of how to move forward.

You guys have been of immense help to countless number of pople and I would appreciate if you could please provide me with your expert advice and guide me in the right direction.

Regards,
Arty717

If the Company A's owner is so nice. Tell him clearly what the lawyer asked i.e affidavit of liqudating and paying the salary if the need arises.

My opinion is that in case the USCIS asks for information abou the tax stuff etc.
This affidavit will prove that your company A is honest and willing.
Then uscis has no more reasons to deny your case based on the tax stuff.

The I-140 and 485 concurrently takes very less time these days.
You can always apply for 7th year extension which will come within 2 weeks of filing.

I am not a lawyer, but i don't see any problem in your case if you go back to company A's payroll and have that affidavit.
If you ask them I am sure they will give this based on your relations/repo.

It depends on center to centre too, Vermont is a little lienent than California

Have you thought of transferring your labor to company B?

If both Company A & Company B are under the same USCIS zone, then an approved labor can be transferred to company B as long as company A can give no objection certificate for transfer, again please check with your lawyer.

RDDI,

Where did you hear this?? Can you show some pointers to prove this?? Labor Certificate belongs to a specific employer and how can it be transferred to another employer??

Only way you can transfer a GC process to another employer is via AC21...If a LC can be transferred to another employer, then nobody would have the problem/RFE of "Employer's Ability to Pay"...

an_anonymous said:
RDDI,

Where did you hear this?? Can you show some pointers to prove this?? Labor Certificate belongs to a specific employer and how can it be transferred to another employer??

Only way you can transfer a GC process to another employer is via AC21...If a LC can be transferred to another employer, then nobody would have the problem/RFE of "Employer's Ability to Pay"...

Hi an_anonymous,

Even it was surprise to me around 4.3 years back when I left a company that comes under CHICAGO DOL for a company under SFO DOL. During that time my labor was cleared and I was about to file for I-140, but I left for STOCKS:) after working 3.5 years for that company, immature decision!!!

During that time, I approached few lawyers and one of them indicated this rule to me. Since it didn't apply to my case I didn't pursue this further.

The catch here is, you have to get a NO OBJECTION TRANSFER CERTIFICATE from previous employer, which is nearly impossible to get. Probably this is the reason why this rule is not that well known. Also, the last but not the least NEW EMPLOYER SHOULD BE IN SAME ZONE.

Either way, it does no harm in checking with the lawyer.

RDDI said:
Hi an_anonymous,

Even it was surprise to me around 4.3 years back when I left a company that comes under CHICAGO DOL for a company under SFO DOL. During that time my labor was cleared and I was about to file for I-140, but I left for STOCKS:) after working 3.5 years for that company, immature decision!!!

During that time, I approached few lawyers and one of them indicated this rule to me. Since it didn't apply to my case I didn't pursue this further.

The catch here is, you have to get a NO OBJECTION TRANSFER CERTIFICATE from previous employer, which is nearly impossible to get. Probably this is the reason why this rule is not that well known. Also, the last but not the least NEW EMPLOYER SHOULD BE IN SAME ZONE.

Either way, it does no harm in checking with the lawyer.
Hi RDDI,
Thanks for your info. Both company A and company B are in the same zone and I think company A is willing to help me. But what I learn from my lawyer is if I go for the transfer now (Before I file 140 and 485) , I'm taking a big risk. Is it true. Also if company A is offering me a job now (long term contract) does it help on the 'Ability to Pay' issue?

Thanks,
Arty717

arty717 said:
Hi RDDI,
Thanks for your info. Both company A and company B are in the same zone and I think company A is willing to help me. But what I learn from my lawyer is if I go for the transfer now (Before I file 140 and 485) , I'm taking a big risk. Is it true. Also if company A is offering me a job now (long term contract) does it help on the 'Ability to Pay' issue?

Thanks,
Arty717

If lawyer suggests this is a big risk now, then you should do as he\she recommends.