Unique name change situation

csch1wait

Registered Users (C)
My birth certificate has my first name spelled differently than what I have been using all along. At the interview, the IO said he has to go by the birth certificate and the only solution is to do Name change. Since we were doing name change, I decided to also change my last name to take my husband's last name. However now I think that both my old name and my new name will be different from my current name.

Has anyone going through the similaar situation. I am thinking my naturalization certificate will have my old name as in my birth certificate and my new name as my current first name with my husband's last name. So essentially there is no proof of my current name. Will that be an issue. What should I do?

So what you are saying is that your passport and other IDs have X as your last name, but the name change order for naturalization will say you changed from Y to Z?

Last edited by a moderator:
csch1wait

I went through the same situation. I has a minor space in the writing of my name in the birth cirtificate. My Passport and GC and all other documents are without the space. I did not request any name change in the application. But the IO insisted for a name change and got all the corresponsding documents signed. He approved the case (4/7) and I am still awaiting for the Oath letter.

So what you are saying is that your passport and other IDs have X as your last name, but the name change order for naturalization will say you changed from Y to Z?

My current name is say A X, my birth certificate has B X and my new name is B Z.

I see. That could be a problem with changing your other documents, because you would have nothing to tie A X to either B X or B Z.

If you did the naturalization name change to A X, you would have something official saying you went from B X to A X. Then after that you could do a separate name change in court from A X to B Z, so that would make it easy to change your other documents as you will have something official with A X -> B Z.

But that would require going back to USCIS to modify the name change request, and then the expense of doing a second name change in court. On the other hand, if you don't do that you're still going to have big hassles. I don't know if or how you'll get the DMV to change your license or state ID if you have nothing showing A X -> B Z or A X -> B X.

I am surprised you did not fix this before you applied....

I had a similar situation, but I rectified this BEFORE applying for a green card. All of my documents and every piece of personal identification EXCEPT my birth certificate had name X A. My birth certificate had name Y A. I did a legal name change to Y A, and this solved everything by having my birth certificate match with my passport and all other documents and IDs.

hi all,
I am in similar situation. My middle name is missing in both naturalization certificate and also in my US passport (i blame myself for not paying attention while filing N-400). How to get the passport corrected to have middle name also in it? Some of the other docs like SSN, driver license have middle name. All the documents from India have middle name.

I had an interview yesterday and I now have the exactly same problem.
After I came back home, it came to my mind that the name change certificate without my current legal name shown could cause a problem.

If you received your oath ceremony notice, what name did it addressed to? Was it to you BC name, B X ?
I am trying to resolve the issue before the oath ceremony, and it will be great to know if you found a solution.

Does anyone know if it could be possible to get another name change certificate (through the court separately), from A X (current legal name) to B Z (new name in the NC) in the original poster's case?

I received oath letter after the interview with my current name and I also received an oath letter in mail addressed to my original name in my BC.

I also made infopass appointment and the same IO was present. He says I should not have any problems.

csch1wait: Thanks for your response.

I also thought about making an Infopass appointment, but was not sure if my inquiry belongs to any one of four cases described in the infopass appointment link.

I am almost ready to apply, and I just realize I have a problem (issue) with my name. let's say my name on my birth certificate is Chad Vader in my home country. When I moved to Canada as a kid, I used Chad as my middle name. I became Darth Chad Vader. All of my Canadian and American documents have Darth Chad Vader as my name. In the N-400, it asks me to fill out my legal name (as in my birth certificate) which would be Chad Vader.

I want my nat. cert. to show Darth Chad Vader as my name. Now, I am supposed to ask for a name change in the N-400 that requires some court order action.

Is this correct? That sounds like an additional few months in the worst case scenario.

it seems that for all practical purposes, Darth Chad Vader is my legal name. It's in my driver's license and green card.

Thanks for any insight.