Unimpressive I-551 Stamp

GC_Very_Soon

Registered Users (C)
I got my passport stamped at Newark today. It was a smooth going but when I saw the stamp I was a bit disappointed. The stamp does not even say 'USCIS' or even 'United States'. It just says that its temp evidence of legal permanent residence - BUT in which country? It does not say!!!!

I was a bit confused! If I travel and show this to the airline guys let' say in Germany - how on earth would they know that this stamp allows me to get admission to US? In fact, I am travelling in a couple of weeks and hope I don't face a problem!

If you don't like stamp or uncomfortable with that stamp or confused, just wait for plastic card so you will be happy. Don't worry. Just enjoy your freedom and have fun. Congratulations on becoming a U.S. permanent resident. :)

I thought the same thing...

How long before the actual card is recieved? The lady said 6-12 months. Is that true?

I was noticed orginal card is coming approx. in 2 1/2 months. even though they say 6 to 1 year. 80% are getting in 2 months. I saw 6 of my friends they got thier orginal card in 2 1/2 months.

Stuka, that's general standard message. Some people got their plastic cards in 2 months. We could say 7 days to 365 days :)

Don't worry about it. At least you have a one-year valid I-551 stamp on your passport. You can call customer service in 2 months or 3 months if you don't receive your plastic card.

Congratulations on your becoming a US Permanent resident.

Hope this helps.

We busted our cips for this stamp

That was my thought when i saw the stamp. Everything is written by a person.

But i am loving it.

I agree...the stamp is totally unimpressive and probably very easy to fake also. No wonder they are planning on phasing it out...