Unemployment Insurance eligibility

lil_joe

Registered Users (C)
I got my greencard a while back.

I had provided 2 weeks resignation notice to my consulting company. When they gave this notice to the client, the client let me go immediately.

I have a job lined up from next monday.

1. Am I eligible for Unemployment benefits from the govt for this 2 week period?

2. Does filing for unemployment benefit have any Negative effect on my Citizenship filing later on?

Thanks

lil_joe said:
1. Am I eligible for Unemployment benefits from the govt for this 2 week period?

You won't (in most of the states I am aware of), because you left voluntarily.

pralay said:
You won't (in most of the states I am aware of), because you left voluntarily.

I gave 4 weeks notice(as per my employment contract). But my employer let me go in 2 weeks itself

Cant I argue that my personal finances have been affected by this situation?

lil_joe said:
I gave 4 weeks notice(as per my employment contract). But my employer let me go in 2 weeks itself

Cant I argue that my personal finances have been affected by this situation?

No. If your employer has a contract of 4 week notice period from both side, then your employer is supposed to pay you for next 4 weeks, even if they "relieved" you immediately after you served your resignation notice. But if 4 week notice is from only your side (i.e. employer is not required to serve you notice), then your employer does not have liability of paying you for next 4 weeks. Either way, I don't think you have any case of unemployment benefit. Unemployment benefit is for unemployment (basically the person does not have job, but actively looking for new job). It's not a benefit for filling up the gap while switching job.