Unemployment During 5-Year Period

jnwong

Registered Users (C)
On the N-400 form, employment information is requested. But what if the economy is so bad (as it is now) that no jobs were found during the 5-year period.

Will the lack of employment have a negative impact during the citizenship interview? What if the applicant rely on family for support during the hardship?

Can anyone share how immigration officer treat this type of situation?

Thanks JoeF. Can you find the legal basis for your answer? I heard some attorneys say they could question how you could have made a living without sources of income.

Thanks. One of my family members is on her way to apply for citizenship. She just got the notice for a citizenship interview which asked her to take all previous passports with her.

Unfortunately, She accidentally lost her previous passports when moving home to another city. What can she do? She can apply for a new passport from the consulate of her current country of citizenship but she could no longer find her previous passports.

Would this be a problem which leads to denial of citizenship? btw She has fortunately kept all airline boarding passes for her trips out of the country.

JoeF

Hum...although that's what the law says, I still have heard of many friends of mine who were asked to explain the employment gaps or no employment.

Do you think it is wise to prepare some documents, e.g. fund mailing slip from overseas, to prove that I survive with the help of my family members from overseas.

The interviewer could be easy-going or tough, but we'd better prepare for the worse case.

Thanks.

Important thing is HOW you got your green card in first place... if it was employment based... they might take a closer look at your work history after getting the card and if you were a public charge...... I know this from experience.

If your green card is through some other means (marriage, family....) public charge does not matter.

A friend of mine got laid off one month before her I-485 was approved (having waited for over 180 days with AOS). She has the layoff letter from company. She didn't have work ever since (ie. her work history is totally empty in she were to fill out the employment history section of N-400 form). Will that affect her future citizenship?

I was interviewed a month ago at El Monte Office and the Officer there looked at all the periods I worked and not worked and asked me a question specifically if I was ever on unemployment .... why I left my job immediately AFTER getting the GC, etc

She also asked me questions on my N-400 financial history section ... if I was ever in default of any loans, credit cards........ owe money to IRS.

Your "financial history" does plays an important part in your N-400 interview

Just trying to help out; I have tread the path ....

She asked for advice from her attorney, who said there shouldn't be a problem. The most critical part is the intent at the time of immigration. Plus layoff was initiated by the employer.