Unemployment benefits

CMC

Registered Users (C)
Hi JoeF and others,
    I was laid off in oct 2000. I have been looking for job since that time..As the market is down,I am not getting any. I didn\'t know about unemployment benefits that time. Can i apply for that now..

Only permanent residents and US citizen are eligible for unemployment benefits <eom>

&nbsp;

No Title

You can sue any party involved for not making enough effort
to let you and other workers know you could have got
unemployment benefits

No Title

Thanks a lot..one more thing is that i was under short term disability claim... i was not feeling well and i had to take bed rest and could not go to office.I was told by comp\'s HR dept that I could apply for short term disability . But unfortunately when the insurance people called the doctor, who told me to take bed rest,told insurance people that he had not put me out of work. So they denied my case and my employer fired me for not giving him valid reason for vacation. I had GC at that time but didn\'t know about unemployment benefits.

Usually the states require you to apply within 1 year period of time since your layoff.

It might be too late if your Oct. 2000 was stated correctly. I wish it was Oct. 2001.

Better double check with the state government.

You are entitled to the &quot;BENEFITS&quot; from the insurance your employer paid for. It is not a burden to the government.

Please Advice Is this Information correct

I finished assignment as consultant in OCT 2001 and I am not able to find the job. I got my GC approved in March 2002 and stamped on March 18th 2002.

I called my attorney to check whether I can claim unemployment Insurance and If there are any problems in future. She said INS may ask for clarifications in future, If we try to apply for naturalization later. She recommended not to apply for unemployment Insurance until It is absolutely necessary.

Also, If I claim unemployment Insurance, Is there any problem at the port of Entry, when I return back to US later.

Gurus, please provide your comments and Advice. Thanks for your time.

Thanks

No Title

Assuming you were employed by some consulting firm---

I don\'t think that the INS will ask you if you ever received
unemployment benefits (it is not kind of public assistance),
so they will not know. If they really check into the DOL
or any government records, they will find out that you were
unemployed anyway no matter you took unemployment benefits or
not.

So claim iunemployment insurance now