Unemployment benefits

prasa

Registered Users (C)
After approving I-485 how long is safest period not to claim unemployment benefits. Our I-485 approved a month ago and waiting for placstic card. By claiming early creates any problem for citizenship. My spouse project is over this month so thinking to claim for her. Please advise.

I don't think claiming unemployment benefit will be a problem at citizenship. Many GC holders claim it. So as soon as she receives the plastic card, she better claim it.

Hi,

I have asked earlier also but really could not get the answere. I am asking again....

Is there any documents to take from the HR of the company through whom I got the GC before leaving the job? OR when I have the GreenCard with me it does not matter anymore? I will be getting laid-off this month.

prasa said:
After approving I-485 how long is safest period not to claim unemployment benefits. Our I-485 approved a month ago and waiting for placstic card. By claiming early creates any problem for citizenship. My spouse project is over this month so thinking to claim for her. Please advise.

In some states (like California) unemployment benefit is not public charge or tax money - rather it's insurance paid by employers. So when you are laid off, you deserve that money. But it really does not matter what the unemployment rule is in your state - whether it's public charge or insurance, you deserve enemployment benefit by rule. There is no impact in citizenship in this issue.

Unbelievable said:
Hi,

I have asked earlier also but really could not get the answere. I am asking again....

Is there any documents to take from the HR of the company through whom I got the GC before leaving the job? OR when I have the GreenCard with me it does not matter anymore? I will be getting laid-off this month.

when you layoff , company must give you the layoff/termination letter and also severance pay . otherwise you can ask the same. it is manditory that company issue a letter saying that you are terminated. otherwise dont worry simply spend 1000$ and hire a lawayer and sue the company, stating that they are not paying your salary.
but, how do you know that they are going to layoff you.
May i ask you which company you are working for....

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi canus_immi,

I know more than a year ago that I am going to be laid-off this month end. I have already received 30 days notice as promised. Also they are giving me severance, stay bonus and paid vacation. :p

Again I have received different reply. :eek:

Can anyone reply to my original question regarding GC documents?

Unbelievable said:

You do not have to take any other documents other than the termination letter.

Unbelievable said:
Hi canus_immi,

I know more than a year ago that I am going to be laid-off this month end. I have already received 30 days notice as promised. Also they are giving me severance, stay bonus and paid vacation. :p

Again I have received different reply. :eek:

Just termination later is enough , make sure that they are laying you off since lack of positions , not lack of your work. so that you can claim ur unemployment benfits

dsatish said:
I don't think claiming unemployment benefit will be a problem at citizenship. Many GC holders claim it. So as soon as she receives the plastic card, she better claim it.

Could any one tell me how to apply for this and is there any thread/web site regarading this info.

prasa said:
Could any one tell me how to apply for this and is there any thread/web site regarading this info.

You can get the info on your state dept. of Labor website.

prasa said:

Go to each State website and look under residents/employment section.
The state website is "http://www.state.xx.us/" (where xx stands for the State code. for eg: 'http://www.state.nh.us' for newhampshire)

canus_immi said:
Just termination later is enough , make sure that they are laying you off since lack of positions , not lack of your work. so that you can claim ur unemployment benfits

cansus_immi,
lack of position/lack of your work ???
What difference it makes when you are getting layoff involuntarily ???
Can you please explain :rolleyes:

truenblue said:
cansus_immi,
lack of position/lack of your work ???
What difference it makes when you are getting layoff involuntarily ???
Can you please explain :rolleyes:
To get UI it should be no fault termination. Lack of your work means employee was not performing his duties properly

tammy2 said:
To get UI it should be no fault termination. Lack of your work means employee was not performing his duties properly

so it means if you are terminated/laidoff because of your own mistake and are not finding a new job you are not entitle to the gov unemployment assistance in the mean time ? so in other words govt helps only those who are good worker but unluckily gets out of job. wow

truenblue said:
so it means if you are terminated/laidoff because of your own mistake and are not finding a new job you are not entitle to the gov unemployment assistance in the mean time ? so in other words govt helps only those who are good worker but unluckily gets out of job. wow

Don't worry company never give you letter saying that he or she not good. if they specified this Govt may ask them what happen to you at the time of hiring? Meaning they are not properly interviewes us. In otherwords the govt know it is because of economy . Either way you r entitled for Unemployment Benifits .The question hoe much they will pay . is it half of our salary ? or 2000$