unemployment benefits based on EAD

trinity888

Registered Users (C)
guys,

is it okay to file for unemployment benefits if I already
have my ead?? also the ead is based on my spouse (my spouse is the primary applicant)

will this affect the gc processing?

thanks

DON'T DO IT

I know of a case where the Green Card was revoked for filing unemployment benefits within a month of getting the Green Card.The premise of giving you a Green Card is that u have a job offer so if u lose your job too soon after the Green Card is issued , the INS has the right to take it back 'cause u lied about having a job. BTW, don't think u r even eligible for unemployment.

even if the gc primary applicant is my spouse, not me?

i am only a dependent on the gc where i got my ead...
before the ead, i've been on h1 for 4+ years now and just
recently got laid of.

tnx.

Your spouse is sponsoring your GC. Indirectly sponsoring person is telling U.S. govt. that you will not become public responsibility once green card is approved.

Take care. Since how many days you are using EAD?

tammy2,

i haven't used my ead yet.....my h1 is not yet
expired...i got my ead just last april...

i guess to be on the safe side, i just won't do it...

thanks you all the replies...

I-131 Affidavit of Support

I know this post is a little dated, but it might help someone nevertheless, so here goes:

Its also important to note that your spouse would have filed the 131 (Affidavit of Support) which swears under oath that you (the dependent spouse) will not become public charge.

So DO NOT apply for unemployment benefits.

Winner

Re: I-131 Affidavit of Support

Unemplyment insurance is not a public burden. It is the insurance that you payed from your salary, and now just claiming it.