unemployment benefit

NYPendingGC

Registered Users (C)
Hi Gurus,
I am new to this forum and will be grateful if gurus can provide some advices.

I lost my job the end of March. My spouse (primary applicant) had gotten PP stamped. My I-485 is still pending. I hope I can apply unemployment benefit but after reading threads from this forum, I want to wait until my I-485 approval. Some people said even UI is not public charge but USCIS might think your finicial support issue and you might be rejected due to that reason.
I would like to know if I will get my I-485 approval soon, for example June, can I apply UI for my previous weeks from April? Will Labor department give me hard time on that?

Thank you very much!
NYPendingGC

NYPendingGC said:
Some people said even UI is not public charge but USCIS might think your finicial support issue and you might be rejected due to that reason.

UI will NOT make you a public charge. If you are eligible (ie. have an EAD), then apply.

I would like to know if I will get my I-485 approval soon, for example June, can I apply UI for my previous weeks from April? Will Labor department give me hard time on that?

There is a time limit to apply. Don't delay.

You can apply for Unemployment and its not going to jeopradize or you becoming a public charge.

Labor department has nothing to do with UI.

Are you earning on W-2 ? You company contributed towards state UI fund on your behalf while you were employed with them, when you let you go, you have ever right to claim the benefits.

Don't wait! you snooze you lose!

NYPendingGC said:
Hi Gurus,
I am new to this forum and will be grateful if gurus can provide some advices.

I lost my job the end of March. My spouse (primary applicant) had gotten PP stamped. My I-485 is still pending. I hope I can apply unemployment benefit but after reading threads from this forum, I want to wait until my I-485 approval. Some people said even UI is not public charge but USCIS might think your finicial support issue and you might be rejected due to that reason.

Thank you very much!
NYPendingGC

greatly appreciate your responses

TheRealCanadian and VSC_BaBu,

Thank you very much for your advises.
I did get paid by W-2. I will apply UI soon.
Thanks again!

NYPendingGC