Unemployment benefit from Washington state

LayedOff_GC_Guy

Registered Users (C)
After my I-485 approval (RD Nov'01), I got the passport stamped last week and but layed off this week!!

Can I claim unemployment benefits now? Will there be any danger to my GC? Can any one advice me please?

( I am in Washington state, and worked for the sponsoring employer so far all along the GC process.)

Thanks.

Originally posted by LayedOff_GC_Guy
After my I-485 approval (RD Nov'01), I got the passport stamped last week and but layed off this week!!

Can I claim unemployment benefits now? Will there be any danger to my GC? Can any one advice me please?

( I am in Washington state, and worked for the sponsoring employer so far all along the GC process.)

Thanks.

Claiming unemployment benefits have no impact on your status in the US. Unemployment insurance is paid for by premium collected from you/your employer and is administered by a state insurance fund. Claiming UI does not make you a public charge and should not have any impact to your status.

What about applying for UI when you're waiting for I-485 approval? I keep reading that it's OK to apply, but I am a little worried.

Should I call my lawyer or just apply and let it slide? I don't want to mess things up by following the rules . .

Got an RFE about 6 weeks before I was laid off, so
hopefully there are no more questions . . .

No update online yet.

waiting sucks . . .

I just found this on murthy.com:

Chat User : I am in the process of changing status. Can I apply for unemployment benefits? Will I get in trouble later when I apply H-1 or PR if I try to apply for unemployment compensation?

Attorney Murthy : Yes, a non-immigrant may have a problem in taking unemployment since that could prevent the INS from allowing him/her to be considered not a financial liability on the U.S. After getting the GC, it is not a problem if applying for citizenship.

Please let me know if you have applied

for unemployment benefit in Washington State, I am in the same boat. Please let me know if you applied or not and if you have been accepted.

I appreciate it so much.

You can send me direct eamil at hyasin@hotmail.com