Unbelievable news: New immigration bill by Senater Specter

garbarsarbar

Registered Users (C)
Unbelievable news:

Guys:

Check out this anti-immigrant site and read about this new proposed bill that Mr. Specter is circulating for consideration. Seems too good to be true. Do you think its really going to happen?

http://www.numbersusa.com/hottopic/specterproposal.html

I am also pasting relevent info- from it below:

New exemptions from legal, permanent immigration category caps:

Aliens with an advanced degree in science, technology, engineering, or math who have been working in a related field in the United States for the three-year period preceding their application for an employment-based immigrant visa would be exempt from the cap on such visas.

Aliens with “extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education , business, or athletics,” “outstanding professors and researchers,” and physicians who agree to work in an area designated by the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) as having a shortage of health care professionals or who agree to work at a health care facility run by the Department of Veterans Affairs all would be exempt from the cap on employment-based visas.

The spouses, children and parents of any alien who is admitted as an employment-based immigrant would be exempt from the cap on employment-based visas (parents of such aliens currently are not eligible for a visa at all until the alien becomes a naturalized citizen).

Where current law exempts the children, spouses, and parents of U.S. citizens, Specter would exempt the children of citizens plus their children, the spouses of citizens plus their children, and the parents of citizens plus their children.

No need to get all excited, this is old news

This has been circulating even before the fate of S.1932 was decided.

ragz4u:

I don't think it is an old news? I don't recall Sen. Specter coming out with such a bill ever? Basically, he has compiled all three major bills by Kennedy, cornyn, and Hagel in one common bill and will discuss this February.

The following proposition affects all the categories including EB-3. I'm not sure why parents are included in the list. They've never been considered as dependents in EBGC process.
====
The spouses, children and parents of any alien who is admitted as an employment-based immigrant would be exempt from the cap on employment-based visas.
====

va_il said:
If i am right that will address EB2 cases but not EB3 right?

Good old fashioned bartering

Lets not get so excited yet people. This is all glorified bartering.
Tancredo and company set the bar at NO IMMIGRATION at all, and Specter and company set the bar at let the whole world come, spouses, parents, children, children of children, children of mistresses bla bla bla.
Realistically the senate will never approve the house version of HR 4437, and the Congress will never approve anything close to the Specter proposal.
All these bills/proposals are starting points for debate on the floor and negotiations in the house/senate conference. As we know from S 1932, all of us are unable to majorly influence conferees at those conference sessions.
Right now the best we can do is quietly lobby congressmen/senators, push friendly organisations and employers to do the same and tout the advantages of our presence here. After all guys, lets not forget we are skilled, hardworking people from good families. We will not starve if we can't settle in the USA, as you all can see we will find our niche in this world. Of course we all would like to settle here having invested so much time, effort and money in it and also we know that this is a mutually beneficial relationship hence our angst.
Lets work on the above lobby, I am optimistic that 2006 will emerge as a better year for us.

Please read the entire bill at the web-site I listed.This bill w'd address EVERYTHING. Huge increase in immigrant visa numbers in all categories. No need for labor cert. for BS degree holders. MS w/ 3+ year exp. get direct GC. Parants also get at thre same time if u file for them.

for POSMD

for POSMD

I agree w/ yr views, but remember Tancredo and company are very in numbers and they were able to blackmail conferees as S1932 had very few takers in House. If Tancredo Inc. w'd have said "NO", then that bill w'd have died. so conferees got scared and deleted immig. provision. This Feb., they won'rt able to blackmail again.

This Bill looks good

But coroporations would hate this bill. No benefit them.

So I doubt this bill would be liked by all Senators.

I agree with logic of garbarsarbar.
For S 1932, democrates were going to vote no irespective of immigration package. To pass S 1932, they wanted 100% house republican votes. 25 to 35% house republican were hard anti-immigration and black mailed Republican leaders. Republican do not want to take any chance so they droped 8001.

Now if exclussive legal immigration bill come on the floor of Senete and House, it would defenately pass. This bill may not have republican/Democrate politics but fight amongs Pro and Anti Immigration lawmakers. There are clear majority of Pro-immigration in Senate (as Senater Byrd proposal was defeated with 85 vs 14). I believe, 30% anti- immigration representatives in House and 10% are not decided. We have to concentrate on 10% not decided group and 30% Anti- immigration group and we will be win.

I think, our core group of Immigrationvoice.org should have meeting with Senator Arnel Spectar as soon as possible.

Senator Arnel Spectar is asking lot of thing, I think we will get atleast what we need (Section 8001's proposals)

garbarsarbar said:
for POSMD

I agree w/ yr views, but remember Tancredo and company are very in numbers and they were able to blackmail conferees as S1932 had very few takers in House. If Tancredo Inc. w'd have said "NO", then that bill w'd have died. so conferees got scared and deleted immig. provision. This Feb., they won'rt able to blackmail again.

PLAN OUR WORK and WORK OUR PLAN

Tancredo will make all efforts so that this will not be even tabled. Well if they didnt agree to S1932 why would they agree to this. Also we have NumberUSA . I am not trying to discourage anyone. Still we should try/
I would suggest PLAN OUR WORK and WORK OUR PLAN.

Lt us decide actions we need to get this bill passed. Sunjoshi, Dakwalla, techy any ideas our action plan.

thanks

i think we need to unite and go for the long run......but somehow i feel we need to mobilise atleast 10k people....i do not mind doing things....but it not fun when there are 40-50 people trying to do so many things.....we should be thinking of membership as top priority.......

I agree with you guys BUT!!!

I agree with you guys that we have stronger prospects in the upcoming Immigration debate in the senate since this is a pure play immigration bill.
However, a group formed by Tancredo et al called the (anti) immigration caucus, a group of mostly conservative republican congressmen whose numbers have swelled alarmingly recently and which number about 92 at last count are strongly against immigration generally. Unfortunately the bad press about Illegal immigration does affect these legislative debates, whether we like it or not we are a part of the overall immigration debate.
The anti immigration groups pushed S1932 immigration provisions out of the budget bill giving the excuse of the upcoming legislation to get it dropped since morally any other argument would have exposed their true xenophobic colours.
The problem is not whether something favourable will come our way in an upcoming bill but rather will a bill pass at all?
The issue of Illegal immigration they are trying to tackle is such a divisive and politically charged one with so many special interests dug in on either side that the bigger threat is more one of inaction. We have seen it this year with social security reform and other issues, when something is as divisive, status quo frequently prevails. Sadly for us that status quo is a HELL. Anyway the chance of an immigration bill passing is probably better than 50/50 since it is a new year and Pres. Bush (who is behind this as one of his big issues in 2006) appears to be rebounding somewhat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Senate / House will take it up in Feb

The senate and house will take this up in Feb.
However, it is difficult to know how things will turn out.
It could go either way. We need the big lobby groups and corporations involved (Microsoft, etc). Otherwise, not much will happen. We need to keep up our pressure efforts on the congress.

if a stand-alone immigration bill had any chance, big corps would not have fought to make the relevent proposals a part of S1932. But it is interesting the way they lost all their steam after it passed the senate.....
I do remember seeing these proposals included in Hagel's bill. passing an immigration bill in an election year........needs a lot of proper press, packaging, etc. if things go well in Iraq and republicans are set to retain the control both the houses, probably a better chance.
on the other hand if things go poorly in Iraq and a lot of house members are in trouble, they may seek money from big corps and then big corps may be able to extract whatever they want.
I think currently there are three different streams in the different branches of government. Bush is for guest worker program.....house for enforcement first and part of the senate for fair legal EB immigration. Bush has nothing to lose by supporting a bill for fair legal EB immigration, but his attention is focused on Iraq.
if big corporations pour enough money anything is possible.

posmd said:
I agree with you guys that we have stronger prospects in the upcoming Immigration debate in the senate since this is a pure play immigration bill.
However, a group formed by Tancredo et al called the (anti) immigration caucus, a group of mostly conservative republican congressmen whose numbers have swelled alarmingly recently and which number about 92 at last count are strongly against immigration generally. Unfortunately the bad press about Illegal immigration does affect these legislative debates, whether we like it or not we are a part of the overall immigration debate.
The anti immigration groups pushed S1932 immigration provisions out of the budget bill giving the excuse of the upcoming legislation to get it dropped since morally any other argument would have exposed their true xenophobic colours.
The problem is not whether something favourable will come our way in an upcoming bill but rather will a bill pass at all?
The issue of Illegal immigration they are trying to tackle is such a divisive and politically charged one with so many special interests dug in on either side that the bigger threat is more one of inaction. We have seen it this year with social security reform and other issues, when something is as divisive, status quo frequently prevails. Sadly for us that status quo is a HELL. Anyway the chance of an immigration bill passing is probably better than 50/50 since it is a new year and Pres. Bush (who is behind this as one of his big issues in 2006) appears to be rebounding somewhat.

Well said!

posmd said:
Lets not get so excited yet people. This is all glorified bartering.
Tancredo and company set the bar at NO IMMIGRATION at all, and Specter and company set the bar at let the whole world come, spouses, parents, children, children of children, children of mistresses bla bla bla.
Realistically the senate will never approve the house version of HR 4437, and the Congress will never approve anything close to the Specter proposal.
All these bills/proposals are starting points for debate on the floor and negotiations in the house/senate conference. As we know from S 1932, all of us are unable to majorly influence conferees at those conference sessions.
Right now the best we can do is quietly lobby congressmen/senators, push friendly organisations and employers to do the same and tout the advantages of our presence here. After all guys, lets not forget we are skilled, hardworking people from good families. We will not starve if we can't settle in the USA, as you all can see we will find our niche in this world. Of course we all would like to settle here having invested so much time, effort and money in it and also we know that this is a mutually beneficial relationship hence our angst.
Lets work on the above lobby, I am optimistic that 2006 will emerge as a better year for us.
It is the only reasonable course available to us presently! Over the next several months & years, some of us will progress to GCs and Citizenships - we have somehow got to make the anti-immigration pols pay for this at the elections! Seems far away now, but we should try our best to organize our communities as they once did in GA to defeat an anti-Indian Congresswoman!

The meak shall...!

tusharvk said:
if a stand-alone immigration bill had any chance, big corps would not have fought to make the relevent proposals a part of S1932. But it is interesting the way they lost all their steam after it passed the senate.....
I do remember seeing these proposals included in Hagel's bill. passing an immigration bill in an election year........needs a lot of proper press, packaging, etc. if things go well in Iraq and republicans are set to retain the control both the houses, probably a better chance.
on the other hand if things go poorly in Iraq and a lot of house members are in trouble, they may seek money from big corps and then big corps may be able to extract whatever they want.
I think currently there are three different streams in the different branches of government. Bush is for guest worker program.....house for enforcement first and part of the senate for fair legal EB immigration. Bush has nothing to lose by supporting a bill for fair legal EB immigration, but his attention is focused on Iraq.
if big corporations pour enough money anything is possible.
Ours is a just cause - we will prevail ultimately, somehow! Right now, we are sort of helpless - dependent on people who are not directly dependent on us, but we shall overcome! Somehow, we have to persuade the community folks around us or our relatives to join together! I have unfortunately not seen many prominent immigrants join our cause at all!

Register at immigrationvoice.org

Guys,

Come and join immigration voice at immigrationvoice.org an organization solely for the issues & concerns of the Employment based green card process.

This organization is 4 days old and started by the people on S.1932 thread of this forum.

The following the is the agenda of the orgaization

In first quarter of 2006 US Congress will consider comprehensive immigration reform bill. We want the following to be included in the bill to alleviate the long wait for the green card.

• Filing I-485 even if priority date is not current. Doing so would entitle us for an EAD that would give us flexibility for job opportunities.
• Increasing the annual Employment based Green Card quota.
• Eliminating/Reducing retrogression by recapturing unused visas and removing dependents from numerical visa limits.
• Labor department to enhance the processing capabilities of the Backlog Center

In the past we have seen that due to lack of professional representation, employment based immigration issues have been ignored by the lawmakers. The latest Example has been dropping of section 8001 & 8002 from the Budget Reconciliation Bill passed by the congress in December 2005. These events have made us realize that we need to hire a professional strategist firm who can analyze the issue in various dimensions and accordingly advise and help us formulate our strategies towards achievement of our above mentioned goal. The hired strategy firm will also be responsible for providing us a structured platform were we can put forth our concerns to the lawmakers and convince them to include clauses addressing our issues favorably. The said strategy firm can qualify and help us align with pertinent Support groups and forums that would strengthen our voice and raise the cause to the lawmakers. We have very less time to collaborate our efforts in a structured format that can lead us to putting our voice up, as the Reform’s decision is due in February 2006 itself. We need funds to hire the professional strategist firm. We also need your contribution in terms of your ideas and efforts by registering you as a Volunteer. Funds and their utilization would be transparent in this process althrough. All the volunteers will be provided a weekly update on the funds collected and their utilization

Register at immigrationvoice.org

or email at info@immigrationvoice.org