Unauthorized work in US

coolgal2000

I am a foreign student and i violated my status by working without authorization.
Im on F-1 visa.
Can you tell me what exactly happens next.?
Will my tax returns(yearly) be affected for the current year and the coming years untill i graduate?
Also, if i file for H-1B visa after i graduate(in 1 year) will it also be affected.
Thanks
Grace

coolgal2000 said:
I am a foreign student and i violated my status by working without authorization.
Im on F-1 visa.
Can you tell me what exactly happens next.?
Will my tax returns(yearly) be affected for the current year and the coming years untill i graduate?
Also, if i file for H-1B visa after i graduate(in 1 year) will it also be affected.
Thanks
Grace

If you have violated your status, you probably will not be permitted to change status without leaving the US. If you leave the US, your failure to follow the restrictions of your visa will be considered by the Consulate. Whether the consulate will issue a visa or refuse to do so is difficult to say, particularly without a much more thorough discussion of the facts.

If you are not maintaining your status, you are currently subject to removal from the US (Deportation). At least in theory, you could be held on bond (I have seen this happen (ICE refused to permit any release on bond - I got an Immigration Judge to overrule them) for facts with lesser violation than yours (1 month overstay of a B visa) but it is very rare.

Did the immigration authorities found out about it?

It used to be that IRS had very little to do with DHS, and technically speaking the IRS couldn't tell the difference between "normal" and restricted social security numbers. They also had neither time nor desire to go and verify your eligibility.
I'm surprised if the immigration found out about you working illegally. I would appreciate if you could post how did it happened.

As long as u r on time w/ your tax returns the IRS is fine. I don't think it should affect your tax returns anyhow - even though u r a non-resident alien you are obligated to pay taxes (and get your returns if you are entitled) regardless whether or not it has been lawful or unlawful employment.

Re

Immigration doesnt know till now till my knowledge, so just to be safer side I asked this question.

As long as IRS doesnt comes to know about it and i can live here for 2-3 more years, it suits fine with me.
Thanks to all who helped me.