Unable to visit India in past 7 years! please guide

schandar

Hi,
If we can be guided as me and my wife are on single entry H1 visas.Our green card process yet to begin.
But we have not been able to visit India for last 7 years. I have worked for 7 years and my green card process crashed after I losing my job in the middle of the process.
My wife has who was in school has started working for a company now.And as I have completed my 7 years, I am only left with the option of going back to school.
But being on single entry H1 visas can we visit india and safely return back.or do weneed to get a stamp.
kindly looking for help.

THANKS

Originally posted by schandar
Hi,
If we can be guided as me and my wife are on single entry H1 visas.Our green card process yet to begin.
But we have not been able to visit India for last 7 years. I have worked for 7 years and my green card process crashed after I losing my job in the middle of the process.
My wife has who was in school has started working for a company now.And as I have completed my 7 years, I am only left with the option of going back to school.
But being on single entry H1 visas can we visit india and safely return back.or do weneed to get a stamp.
kindly looking for help.

THANKS
How and where from did you get that single entry visa? Why do say that you have to go back to school? Did you lose your job or have you used up 6 years in H1?
If you have already used the single entry visa to enter US, you cannot use it again to re-enter. I don't know what the 7 year issue is but if you have an existing H1 based employment you can and should get a multiple entry visa from India. I am not so sure, but you can try to get a new H1 visa from Canada or mexico but a visa refusal in there might cause problems for you.

Sir,

I was in Canada for a while before I came to the US. i was agreen card holder there.Came to the US on visitors visa for a few days, got a job offer here and have bee working here since then.
As I have in my message earlier that my green card process crashed because I was layed off. But luckilly my wife who was in school on f1 visa got a job and i am curently on H4 visa with her. Because my 7 years limit is also up.
So we are anxious to know if there any ways we can visit india as we are on single entry H1 & H4 visas.The green card process is yet to begin through my wife's company.
Is it for sure that if we visit India we can get a stamp on our visas without any problesms.As lot's our friends have been doing this in recent days.
Kindly guide us !

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Other option is to cross over to Canada and visit India from Canada using your PR. Since your PP is not stamped at POE, your single entry visa may not cause problem

Originally posted by schandar
Sir,

I was in Canada for a while before I came to the US. i was agreen card holder there.Came to the US on visitors visa for a few days, got a job offer here and have bee working here since then.
As I have in my message earlier that my green card process crashed because I was layed off. But luckilly my wife who was in school on f1 visa got a job and i am curently on H4 visa with her. Because my 7 years limit is also up.
So we are anxious to know if there any ways we can visit india as we are on single entry H1 & H4 visas.The green card process is yet to begin through my wife's company.
Is it for sure that if we visit India we can get a stamp on our visas without any problesms.As lot's our friends have been doing this in recent days.
Kindly guide us !

thanks
You cannot spend more than 6 years in the US on H status (H1 and H4 combined). If you still have some time left to reach the 6 year limit, you can get a visa from India. I am not sure if you still are a canadian landed immigrant if you have been working in US for some time. If you are, you can try to get the visa in Canada.

I still don't understand what is the 7 year limit you are talking about.

Hi,

My 6 years limit was up in December 2002. By 7 years I just ment the extra months that have passed when I had entered US and presently stayed after my 6 years limit.
And ofcours isn't there one extra one year granted for people who are in I-485 process and there 6 year limit reached.

Sir ! I am a Canadian landed immigrant But I am not sure if my Canada's green card status still holds good or not.Can I find that out ! !

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
My 6 years limit was up in December 2002. By 7 years I just ment the extra months that have passed when I had entered US and presently stayed after my 6 years limit.
And ofcours isn't there one extra one year granted for people who are in I-485 process and there 6 year limit reached.

Sir ! I am a Canadian landed immigrant But I am not sure if my Canada's green card status still holds good or not.Can I find that out ! !

Thanks

You completed 6 years in Dec 2002, you will be considered out of status from Dec 2002. That is 6 months and if your overstay is more than 180 days you may be subject to 3 year bar. You need to consult with an attorney ASAP!
The extra year of H status is granted if either a Labor certification OR I-140 is pending for more than 1 year at the time of completion of 6 years. When I-485 is field, you are automatically in adjustee status and do not go out of status.
At what stage did your green card process crash?

My green card process was over after i was I-140 approved. As I was told that the priority date is awaited to become current and unfortunately I lost my job too in that process.
And as i have mentioned earlier I am on H4 visa with my wife on H1.
Kindly tell me if my Canada's green card status still holds good or not. Can I find that out ! !
I had asked you this earlier.

Thanks